Advice please, before I lose my mind.

Let me start off by saying that I am a single mother to a very headstrong 4 yo. The more you tell him not to do something, the more he wants to do it. As a single mother, when potty training, I was unsure how to teach my son to stand when going to the restroom. A few months ago, my son went to visit my mother in another state. My brother taught him to pee standing, by teaching him to pee outdoors. I know, I know. I was not there and had I known, I could have stopped it. Now my problem is that my son thinks it is okay to go outside, no matter where we are. He will try to go in parking lots, or anywhere. I have talked to him, tried bribing him, and tried timeouts. I stop him before it happens and take him to the restroom but he still tries. I am out of ideas and open to suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My brother was like this my mom took him to the police station and let them explain to him that it is illegal. It didnt scare him but he never did it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on May. 25, 2010

• my son and daughter are 4 and 5....... my tactic with them is to try and explain things logically and realistically. in your situation i'd say...

when a boy OR a girl shows their private's outside, it's called indecency. can you say indecency? nice job! it's not OK with the police and if a stranger or neighbor caught you, they would call 911 and the police would be super unhappy.

be honest, in age appropriate terms..... explain the real world consequence.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:13 AM on May. 25, 2010

• you might explain that he is peeing where other people may play and in the home for the bugs and little creatures that live outside. would he like it if someone came and peed all over where he plays and lives? the other side of it is that this is something boys do. they pee outside. It's not so horrible and being a mom of a little boy, I say it can make certain outings where toilets aren't available much easier.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 1:01 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You could try asking a police man to explain that peeing in public is against the law; it may make more of an impact.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:01 PM on May. 25, 2010