Rash or sunburn?? Please help, need to know whether to take him to DR

We were out back today playing with my 17mos old when my husband realized the big black ants that we thought we had gotten rid of the year before were back. We had only been outside for about 15mins playing in his kiddie pool & I had put some sunscreen on him beforehand.

I noticed that he had a couple bites on his stomach & assumed it was from the ants, but didn't worry because my husband got a bite too & was fine. Well hours later I went to change his outfit & noticed what could be either a sunburn or rash. It's mostly on his stomach & back. His cheeks are red too but he's teething so I figured that's what that is from. The only reason why I'm worried about it being a rash is we've stayed out for much longer periods than 15mins without my son burning.

I'm just worried that this could be some sort of allergic reaction to the bite & he's never had benedryl before. :/ Please help moms!

ours

Asked by ours at 1:57 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think he would be fine to try some benadryl first.Maybe he has a heat rash
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:33 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My pediatrician and pediatric allergist both recommend children's Zyrtec (1/4 teaspoon for a child up to age 4) over Benadryl. My allergist says Zyrtec is both more affective and safer. A sunburn wouldn't have any bumps or "rash" it would just be red and very sensitive to the touch.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:46 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Could it be from the sunsceen? If it was hot it could just be a heat type rash I would just keep a eye on it for now and if it gets worse then give him something.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Has he ever had a reaction to sunscreen? Both my daughter and I have a reaction like you describe when we use sunscreen.
    Anonymous