Totally "lost" about "Lost"

Is it just me, or is anybody else confused about the final episode of the TV show "Lost"? I'm still not sure which part was real and which was not, who died and who didn't... Anybody out there got a clue?

Michellesays

Asked by Michellesays at 2:06 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Entertainment

• Yes, everything on the island was reality and actually happened. The flash sideways was a limbo type place, before moving on (to either heaven, next life, higher plane of existence, etc...left up to viewers imagination).

Personally, I believe that since the entire series was through Jack's perspective, that the limbo was of Jack's design. Only people important to HIM were there...and the losties there were mere respresentations of the relationships he had with them, not the literal people (explains ppl "waiting around for Jack", ppl missing etc). If it were Locke's flash sideways, for instance, you'd probably see Helen in the church, if it were Hurley's, his mom and dad etc etc etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 25, 2010

• was a sort of purgatory

Kind of - purgatory implies there are there to be punished or atone for something. The side-verse was just a place they all created for themselves to hang until everyone got there. From what Christian described, it's likely that all the other people in it who didn't go to the fellowship hall at the end were either waiting until they were ready to leave (Daniel/Charlotte/Eloise/etc) or were figments of their imaginary lives (Jack's son, Sayid's in-laws). It doesn't make sense for anyone not part of that core group to be there in a world they created for themselves, and for the most part the group revolves around Desmond, not the Oceanic people. I don't think Christian would have been there at all if Desmond hadn't purposely brought the casket.

But everything besides the alternate universe lines from the last season happened - all the other flash forwards, flash backs, and on-island stuff happened.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I took it as they ALL died. Not at the same time. This flash sideways meetup was in the future. The flash sideways was a sort of purgatory where they all met up after death to "Move on" together.

So some died years ago on the island, others made it off the island etc....

This is how I took it at least....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on May. 25, 2010