poddy training

new mom here..my daughter will be one next week..great walker and very smart for her age i think(every mom thinks that)..im curious as to when is the "right" time to start poddy training if there is one..no bashing please, just a question.

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 2:15 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The right time is when the child shows the signs of readiness.

From http://www.parentingscience.com/toilet-training-readiness.html :• Your child stays dry at least 2 hours at a time during the day or is dry after naps. • Bowel movements become regular and predictable. • Facial expressions, posture, or words reveal that your child is about to urinate or have a bowel movement. • Your child can follow simple instructions. • Your child can walk to and from the bathroom and help undress. • Your child seems uncomfortable with soiled diapers and wants to be changed. • Your child asks to use the toilet or potty chair. • Your child asks to wear grown-up underwear.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Parents Magazine says between 27 and 36 months is the average time to start!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on May. 25, 2010

• We started potty training DD at 24 months and she's been doing great with it. We've been working on it for almost 2 months now and she can go all day without an accident as long as we're at home, the hard part now is getting her to let us know when she has to go when we're out!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:50 AM on May. 25, 2010

• she is 27 months and its a task. Try when you feel you child is ready. :) Good Luck!
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 10:16 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My son was 2.5 and showed all the signs. I set aside a week and he was fully potty trained within 3 or 4 days. We went straight to underwear. I never had to buy pull-ups. And never had to buy diapers again after we started. It takes much less time and effort if you wait for them to be fully ready to start. You have to also be very consistent and it helps if you have them go sit and try to potty every 30 minute until it is habit and slowly increase the time between.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on May. 25, 2010

• my dd was @ 18 months, the boys were between 20-28 months. Never used pullups, etc. To them, it's like still being in a diaper.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

• my son is 25 months old and we are on day 8 today! he wears underwear all day and for now, on outings and naps he wears cloth training pants and overnight he wears diapers (a bit nervous about underwear overnight but I'm just a chicken). there's been many accidents, but they are part of the learning process. it isnt all about "training to use the potty", but learning bladder control, knowing the feeling, learning to communicate when they have to go. Never scold for accidents, diapers need to be history once you start. I mean after a few days if they just don't get it, try again later on, but if you are like 1 month down the road don't regress back to diapers. Potty training takes time and many who are "trained" still have accidents months later
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2010