My daughter is four and we want to start her in kindergarten this fall but her birthday is december 22?

the cut off date is september 1st. does this mean she cant start till next year? does she go to pre-k for the mean time? the schools offer to test for early start or does her birthday disqualify her for that?

xldyxlck

Asked by xldyxlck at 2:24 AM on May. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah she is WAY to young!! If the cut off date is 9-1 then she needs to be 5 by then!! So many kids with birthdays in august that meet the cut off date would do better if they could wait a year as well! Yes, she should do pre-k. Don't push her - that happened to my DH... he had a lot of trouble socially (not academically) because his mom pushed him in to early. Then he took his first round of college finals before he turned 18... his mom had to sign everything for him his first semester because he wasn't of legal age yet!! Don't do that to you DD!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on May. 25, 2010

• If you really think she's ready for Kindergarten this fall, call the school and see what they have to say and ask if she can test in. My friend's son missed the cut off by 2 days and the school said he could test in, but that the test would cost over $500. They didn't do the test and just waited another year. Another friend's daughter was in a similar situation and they did have her tested and she passed and was able to go to kindergarten. But she had been in Head Start and Head Start paid for the testing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I feel that shes ready shes soo social and desperate for that type of environment and interaction shes been in daycare since she was 2 but that stopped about 5 months ago because of finances. I was looking it up yesterday and minnesota makes some assesment test manditory before any child can enter preschool. maybe that test can be used for testing if she can go in early?
    xldyxlck

Answer by xldyxlck at 2:43 AM on May. 25, 2010

• she is NOT way too young.... necessarily.

if she's very, very mature and very, very exceptionally bright she can get a waiver and enter school early if she passes whatever the districts policy is. my local school district required my son to take a stanford binet IQ testings and have a few meetings w/ the shrink who administered the test. his b-day is 10/30..... so he would've been entering school around 4 yrs/10mos give or take. we did the testing, got the letter, toured the school, etc etc but decided to keep him home the extra yr in the end
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• hey OP, if it is largely a socialization and energy level situation I'd suggest preschool, frequent play dates, and at least 2 classes. IE ballet, swimming, t ball, art, cooking, karate, whatever. it's what we did and it worked well for our son. and preschools are like 100x cheaper than daycares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:03 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I think it's too young, even if she's social and advanced, I'd find other outlets for that like hibbingmom said. I wouldn't rush it, I've never meet anyone that was happy they started school early! No reason why she should just stay in or start going to preschool.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:08 AM on May. 25, 2010

• OP - we are in Minnesota too! May I ask what area or school district? I know the info pretty well after what my son went thru with his IQ testing. However, your daughters b-day is like 2 months later than my sons soooo maybe that matters more to them, I dunno.

I know I am NOT thrilled my son will start his senior yr of highschool at like 17 years/10mos old...... but keeping him back was best. He needed activities and playdates, not to be taught to count and write his name that he's known for 2 years. We're considering skipping kinder. entirely .... it's a good option for kids who have had extensive preschool experience and don't need help w/ the basics, counting, making friends, learning to sit still, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:09 AM on May. 25, 2010

• It means she is too young for kindergarten.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:19 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I just moved to Minnesota from california so this is even more foreign to me. Im not sure of the school district i think its wayzata? but i live in Plymouth.

OP - we are in Minnesota too! May I ask what area or school district? I know the info pretty well after what my son went thru with his IQ testing. However, your daughters b-day is like 2 months later than my sons soooo maybe that matters more to them, I dunno.

xldyxlck

Answer by xldyxlck at 3:27 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I missed the cut off date for NY by 2 days. I had to wait the entire year before I could start KG. I was almost 6 before I started kg and people still assume I was held back.... NOPE

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on May. 25, 2010