Is it ok to take prenatal vitamins if you are not pregnant?

I have so many left over prenatals from when I had my son 7 months ago. Is it ok for me to take them if I am not pregnant, breast feeding, or plan to become pregnant in the near future? I don't want to throw them away, so is it safe to take them? If not, what could happen?

Payan04

Asked by Payan04 at 2:56 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Health

• all women need folic acid and iron..... go for it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:57 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes a lot of women always use them. I've taken them for 3 years now, I wasn't pregnant or breastfeeding the whole time, most of it though lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:05 AM on May. 25, 2010

• yeah you can take them i buy the ones from walmart they are good 4 your hair nails and skin.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:06 AM on May. 25, 2010

• yes, but the best way to get good nutrition is through eating whole foods.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:41 AM on May. 25, 2010

• From what I understand, the prenatal vitamins contain all of things that women need. If the iron is too much, change to the ones with little or no iron. I have had to take them per my neurologist.
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 7:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Well the iron might be a little too much and make you constipated, but other then that there isn't really anything that is too high to make you sick so go for it and if you start getting constipated then stop.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Of course! I take them because I have weak nails and fine hair and Ive found that the vitamins help with those.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:59 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Hell yeah, go for it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:55 PM on May. 25, 2010