Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does one file a complaint against a police officier?

Can I request a copy of my police report to find out the names of certain cops involved in my case? What do I do next? Anyone have this experience? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (6)
  • I would contact an attorney first.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • Yes you should always be able to have access to your police report, if a report was made against you I am surprised they didnt give you a copy at the time or when you were released from jail (that's if you were arrested) but you should be able to obtain one from the police station, then you could go from there do some research on how you should go about your complaint or as the pp said speak to an attorney.


    Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:20 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • Definately get an attorney. When trying to take action on a police officer, paperwork just magically seems to get lost or destroyed.

    Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:12 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • You don't need an attorney to file a complaint. You are entitled to a copy of the police report and names of officers involved. You can contact what is called I.A. It stands for Internal Affairs. They investigate cases where conduct of an officer is not appropriate. When asking for a copy of the report don't necessarily say it is for a concern you are passing on. Here is what I would do: 1) Get a copy of all reports and names of all involved. 2) contact the switch board and ask to speak to the supervisors of the officers. 3) speak to supervisors and document the conversation (in my state I'm allowed to tape conversations as long as one party is aware they are being recorded). 4) After speaking to the supervisor I would then go to the supervisor's supervisor. 5) If I exhaust efforts and still think conduct was inappropriate I would go to I.A. with all documents and exact nature of the concern. 6) New media. They

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:44 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • love to expose when communities agencies do something to wrong a community member. Makes for great news. 7) if I really had to I would see an attorney. But a lawyer is for defending your actions or for suing another party. So do you need to defend yourself from a complaint or do you need to sue for inappropriate conduct by an officer? I would think a lawyer would be the last resort.  Unless - I would go straight to a lawyer if I was charged with a crime or the conduct of the officers was so outrageous that in some way it violated my civil rights to the point it caused me harm.


    Answer by frogdawg at 8:47 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • yep, you can even buy the tape of the incident. I paid 30 dollars for when i got pulled over and my tape clearly showed the officer nagging and harrassing me. Just go to the county and tell them you want a copy. If they can't give it to you then they don't have a case

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on May. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.