Sad kids

I just don't get why my kids are always sad. They are very well taking care of. They get a lot of stuff, plenty of love and attention, and always get to go places and try new things. But it seems like it's never enough. I don't expect my kids to thank me because I choose to have them and I love them with everything I have but I just don't understand why they are always unhappy. They are 5 and 7.

Does anyone else have this problem? I just want them to be happy. I know kids cry, pout, and whine but mine do it all the time and everyday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe you have them spoiled? Some kids are never happy with what they have and always want more/better/newer stuff.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 8:36 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree...maybe they're spoiled. Teach them to enjoy the simple things in life....
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:40 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My DD just turned 8. But, at the beginning of 7, she definitely started to become very melancholy. I divorced her father a LONG time ago, she does not remember. So, i don't think that is what it is. I also give her LOTS of attention, she is an only child here at my home (has a brother & sister at her dads) I snuggle & love on her so much. But, she is still so incredibly sensitive! Small things i say hurt her feelings all the time. I would not say that my DD is spoiled at all. If she is spoiled, then she is only spoiled with love & attention....i did no think kids could get too much of that, but maybe they can, I'm hoping she will grow out of it. But, there is a good chance she is always be super sensitive about everything...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:03 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't think they are sad hon...spoiled is more like it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:32 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I've noticed that my stepson, who is 7, is like this with the people from whom he can get stuff. He does it for the rewards he gets for the behavior - in other words, he acts mopey and sad and these people in his life who then stop everything they're doing and lavish him with attention to find out what's wrong with poor baby and ohhhhhh, let's cheer you up by going out for ice cream! and hanging on his every word because obviously something tragic is going on...etc.

It basically becomes a behavior that's rewarded with toys, shopping trips, attention, chuck e cheese, bouncy land, etc.

Here we're told, "go mope in your room and let us know when you're ready to be civil." and AMAZINGLY he's just fine.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:28 PM on May. 25, 2010