My Mother-In-Law wants to take my 3 year old to the beach, I said no because I am not comfortable with it. My daughter doesnt know how to swim and being near the lake and pools make me nervous if I am not there with her. she is now upset. Did I make the right decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That depends on why you don't' want to take her really. I have my kids at the beach when they were only a couple months old and just made sure to keep then in the shade etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:26 AM on May. 25, 2010

• u cud get him lil life jacket and im sure if he cant swim she will hold him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Of course you made the right decision. She is your child. Don't worry about what others say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I think as moms we tend to worry but ur mother in law has had a kid before so im sure she probably knows how to watch one at the beach. good luck
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 8:28 AM on May. 25, 2010

• If you aren't comfortable with it, then you are well within your rights as the mother to say "no I'm not comfortable sending her to X place because..." Your MIL will have to live with it. I wouldn't be comfortable sending a child who couldn't swim to a place near a large body of water if I wasn't going to be there either; things happen and all it takes is a few seconds for a child to wander off. Your MIL may pay complete attention to your daughter the whole time, or she may not. You just never know. Maybe your MIL could take her to swimming classes instead, and when she finishes the course then they can go to the beach?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:32 AM on May. 25, 2010

• you are mom, your choice
    she can take him to the park
    or
    get a little pool for backyard
    even if she can not swim, as long as she is right there, she does not have to when pool is 6-12 inches deep
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:32 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Your child. Your choice. I'm sure you have your reasons as to why you don't want her to go...I don't believe in the theory of "oh she raised her kids she should be okay with yours". Some people are too laid back in terms of watching kids. My son is 7 and a great swimmer and I wouldn't allow him to go to the beach with anyone besides me and my husband.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:37 AM on May. 25, 2010

• your the mother you have the right to say no it's your choice not hers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You made the right choice i would never let my child (young) go to the beach with her grandparents things can happen fast around pools and stuff....if something happened you would always say i knew i shouldn't have let her go
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't allow my children to go to the beach without me. It is a safety issue for me and many people drown even avid swimmers. We have bad rip currents here and you don't have to be waist high for it to grab you and take you out. Never fails, every beach trip we have, someone is pulled out of the water by lifeguards. Several are never found. We live at the beach, because of that we prefer the river. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:52 AM on May. 25, 2010