How to cut down on the grocery bill?

Anyone have any useful tips for me? I would like to try doing things different. I find myself spending $200 every 2 weeks to put groceries in the house and this coming shopping trip i'd like to try and cut that in half if at all possible. I know this will mean sacrificing certain things, but i'd like to have a decent amount of food to cook for dinner and things that can be eaten in between meals as quick snacks or lunches. Please share some of your grocery shopping strategies with me!

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:41 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Buy anything generic that you can. Save left-overs. I like to grill a whole chicken. The first time we'll have grilled chicken with a few sides, then the next I'll add the leftover chicken in some white chili. (VERY good!) You can pack leftover's for SO's lunch, or your own. Take one full day and go through all your cabinets to get an idea of what you have. Then buy only what you need. If the store is having a good sale on something you use often, pick up a few more. But make sure it's something you do actually use. Anything you can make from scratch will help. GL!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 8:48 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree never go in hungry, even the slightest bit. Buy in bulk and store brands.
    You said you go shopping every two weeks so plan out what you are wanting to cook within the next two weeks before you go. Try to make things that have common ingredients.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:57 AM on May. 25, 2010

• buy on sale so you can buy in bulk, then things like meat you can seperate and freeze to pull out what you need when you need it. also buy generic or store brand whenever possible. some are identical to the name brand, some are not-you have to try a few to see what you like. now for quick snacks, convienience foods such as lil snack cakes, cheese cubes in a small bagged portion, or lets say baby carrots in individual bags are very hard on a budget. so instead buy those in bulk too and seperate them into snack bags yourself.now this last one is the one that has savd me a ton-NEVER GO TO THE STORE HUNGRY lol. good luck
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:51 AM on May. 25, 2010

• *Use coupons. Many companies have coupons available online. The Sunday paper is worth the $1.50 for the coupons.

*Compare prices. The same item can be 3 prices at 3 stores. Check if stores honor competitor pricing. It saves time and money.

*Use store brand products. Most things like cereals, canned goods, and frozen products have nearly identical tastes to their national brand counterpart but are much cheaper.

*Buy meat in bulk. Then separate it into individual meals & freeze.

*Buy frozen veggies. They taste better than canned ones, are much more nutritious if they are steamed, and are cheaper.

*Check if your store double coupons on a certain day of the week or has a discount card.

*
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 8:59 AM on May. 25, 2010

• check the ads before going. one store could have something way cheaper than the other. Sometimes you could save making 2 shopping trips
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Great ideas so far. I usually don't clip coupons but I think i'm going to do that this weekend. Also.. renea20.. what is white chili?? Sounds great but i've never heard of it lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:04 AM on May. 25, 2010

• http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bushs-white-chicken-chili/detail.aspx <---Delicious.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You might actually want to spend more this time,,, buy meat in bulk and buy like the huge thing of chicken nuggets or whatever it is your family snacks on,,,,Take a good stock of your pantry,, I seem to buy the things I already have if I don't do this,, check out Aldis,, they have good chips, eggs, cheese, snacky stuff, but not so sold on their meat,, I look at my monthy budget rather than weekly, watch the sale adds, to buy chicken and stuff on sale,, then only have to get the "fill in" stuff the rest of the month,, You didn't say how many are in your family,, but $100 a week is pretty good if you ask me! Good luck,, and yes cupons are awesome, but only use them for something you would already get!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:26 AM on May. 25, 2010

• The recipe makeline gave you is a good one...I usually add a can of rotel and a dash of spicy chili powder, but I like mine spicy. :-)
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:45 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Match coupons to sales - don't use them the week they come out, save them until the item is on sale, too. Use a real grocery store, not WM or Target - with coupons combined with sales it's always cheaper, and WM doesn't price-match double coupons. Most real stores double or even triple the face value of the coupons. Buy more than you need so it lasts until the next time things go on sale instead of running out and paying full price when the one you buy on sale w/ coupon runs out. Most stores allow you to use 2 to 4 of the same coupon (meaning if the q is for $1 off 2 and you have 3 coupons you buy 6 things). If they don't, just do separate transactions. Use the store shoppers card, some places like Kroger offer extra coupons you can load w/ the card and they stack with regular coupons. Once you build up a stock of food, plan meals around what you have, not what you want to buy. Only buy what you absolutely NEED.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:05 AM on May. 25, 2010