eco friendly laundry detergent

i was thinking about byeing one of these from sams but last i heard they don't work as well. Any one tried it? liked it? disliked it?

mbaker331

Asked by mbaker331 at 8:50 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Shopping

• I love this one: http://www.ecos.com/ecosliquid.html

I buy it at Costco

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• i have been using ecos for a few years. we are suspecting a coconut issue with dd, and are now trying others.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I have used ecos, but did not find to be an effective cleaner. We have also have come to realized that our daughter is super sensitive to soaps, and at this point ALL FREE CLEAR is the only one, that we have used, to not cause issue with her. It's for this reason I'm very leery about trying any other detergent. We shop at Sam's and I've seen their eco friendly member marks detergent, but I won't try it due to my child's sensitivity. My interest has nothing really do to with "environmental" issues. It's just we have a septic system, and you really are not suppose to put all those standard soaps/cleaner in a septic system. It turns out that eco is also septic safe. We just have had no luck w/eco products. So I either to right by our septic, or use things that work. I picked things that work!

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:17 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I use ECOS Free and Clear and have had no problems. I've also used and liked Seventh Generation Free and Clear.
    Anonymous

• I MAKE my detergent. You can make GALLONS and GALLONS for the same price as one small jug and our clothes have never looked and smelled so fresh.

The recipe i use is:

1 bar of ivory soap, grated
    2 cups boax
    2 cups washng soda
    2 gallons of water

I put the grated soap into a pot and add some water and melt it on a low heat. Once melted I pour it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I then add the borax and washing soda (these are found in most grocery stores, wal-mart or target on the detergent ailse as laundry boosters), and stir it until dissolved.

Then I add 2 gallons of water and mix. Use 1/4 cup per load, you will have to stir each time you use it, because it can gel on the top, but the 2.5 gallon of detergent lasts for months. Each batch costs only about $2-$3 and the supplies you buy will make 3-4 batches (or 8-10 gallons)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:33 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Seventh Generation free and clear.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010