What can I do about regression?

This is crazy, my house is now a pee zone.
My son was fully potty trained and then about 3-4 weeks ago he just stopped. He refuses to use the potty.
Now my dog is doing it too! ! He has been trained for 2 years and now he keeps peeing in the house, hiking up on EVERYTHING. What is going on? I was told it is because I am pregnant, but is this true and why? What can I do about this?

(posted in toddlers and pets because i am not sure where to put this)

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 8:53 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Pets

• For the dog, get him to the vet. He may have a medical issue. If you haven't had him neutered, do so soon. That can be part of the problem too. Either way, a trip to the vet will probably help a lot. Another way is to feed him where he eliminated. Dogs won't eliminate where they eat. So if you move his food bowl there, he'll get the message and stop.
    For the toddler, one trick that might work is get him some 'big boy pants' with his favorite character on them. Then tell him "Ok, Spiderman won't like it if you pee on him, so if you need to pee, use the potty, OK?" Might work, might not...depends on how much he likes whatever character you find. But he isn't even 2 yet, expect there to be other setbacks to his potty training. Don't rush him. That is not something you can control and you do NOT want to make that a battle ground.

Good luck! :)
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 9:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

• wow. your dog could be doing that because your preg but i doubt your son would be doing it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:55 AM on May. 25, 2010

• maybe your dog is only doing it though because he smells your sons urine and he is trying to mark the territory claiming it as his
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:57 AM on May. 25, 2010

• i would get some pinesole and clean up really quick anywhere your son pees so the dog doesnt smell it and come behind and pee too. maybe that will help.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on May. 25, 2010

• That is what I was thinking the dog is doing it because of my sons pee. If that is the case what can I do to make the smell go away so he will stop? And what can I do about my son?
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Get some Nature's Miracle and use it to clean up anywhere that the dog or kid pees. You should be able to get it at any pet store. It will cost you more than standard cleaners, but it's more effective at cleaning up those kind of stains, and it gets the smell out.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:04 AM on May. 25, 2010

• maybe get him some training pants until he goes potty again. How old is he? Is he just whipping it out and going where ever he pleases? I don't know how old he is. I think something strong would help the smell. Like i said, pinesole.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:05 AM on May. 25, 2010

• He is 21 months will be 2 in august. He has only peed on the floor a few times and the couch once but he is back in training pants so it hasn't happened in a little over a week. But the dog is going on everything. It seems like anything you put on the floor he pees on it, and he has even peed on our bed about 3 times.. ugh.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• do you have puppy pads? i would put a few of those around your house. If it helps even sprinkle a little urine on them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 AM on May. 25, 2010