almost 4 yr old still pooping in pants

I need some suggestions cause everything I've thought of just isn't helping and am clueless on where to go from here. First, I've tried the reward system which really helped for going pee in the beginning and now he seems to have that conquered except for the rare accident from when he's playing. Second, I've tried just watching him and taking him when I've noticed the signs that he has to go. Third, we've had many talks about it. He really wants to go to pre-school, so I've explained that first he has to go poop on the toilet. He knows that's where he needs to go, but still really doesn't except for now and then. When he does go on the toilet, I make a BIG deal out of it in hopes that will help him do it more often.
Any other ideas? Cause I'm coming up dry and know we've only a few months to get this done before he's supposed to start pre-school.

Ferrari

Asked by Ferrari at 9:09 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi Mamma! I had this exact same problem with my son,,he would just get too busy and fail to tell me,, keep up with the reward system,, I mad a lttle chart that he got a sticker for going #2 --3 days in a row and he got a toy,, plus a sucker or a few M&M's every time he managed to do it,, finally it got done,,, some boys just hold it, until they can't help it,,it will work out,, I know how completely frustrating this is,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:16 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Make him start cleaning his own underwear. I did that with my son, he was a little younger but it got the point across and fast. Poop is gross and doesn't exactly smell good. When he does go in the toilet, give his kudos and then say someathing along the lines of "isn't it so much nicer when you dont have to clean the poop out of your pants?" but in a way that will be encouraging
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree make him clean it!! Put it in the toilet then have him wash his underwear... 4 y/o should know wht is going on. Know he has to go and where it goes... Good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Cold water hose and shower time next time he poops his pants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Have you checked with his Pediatrician? There could actually be something that is making this process difficult. Also, and this is a scary thought, but something to think about. Sometimes children soil themselves if they have been or are being abused. I am not saying that is what is going on, just putting it out there.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 12:58 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Obviously, some moms have never had this problem. It is so frustrating. First of all I don't think a cold shower would help him. That would probably scare him. One thing I learned about boys; the urge to poop is more sudden than it is in girls. He may not realize he has to go until it is too late. Also, my son has ADHD. He tends to get wound up with what he is doing and forgets about the potty. It gets too late. Just keep up what you are doing. Be patient, and don't over stress; it will stress him out too. Keep up the reward system. When he poops in the potty, let him put a sticker or smiley face on his chart. When he has something in every square, let him get a small treat. Something he may not usually get. I let my son get coloring books from the Dollar Store or a small, cheap toy. Then when the entire chart is filled up, let him get something bigger. BE PATIENT. He will get it. Good luck, momma.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:32 PM on May. 25, 2010

• A cold shower? Are you madly insane? Some of these poor kids out here are in trouble. My advice for you is to keep doing what you are doing, it will get better.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:19 PM on May. 25, 2010