why is it when you tell some people that your child .......

when you tell someone that your child has autism, they often say "maybe she is just slow" or something to the like

why when a parent says .....

"my child has heart defect"
..NO ONE SAYS...maybe it is just heartburn"

"my child has spinia biffia"
NO ONE SAYS...maybe he just has bad posture

"my child has cancer"
NO ONE SAYS...maybe it is a bad cold

"my child has leukemia"
NO ONE SAYS...the flu IS going around, maybe it is the flu

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:28 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think Autism, much like being Bipolar............is a VERY misunderstood disorder and many people have no idea what it is. Because of the lack of understanding of the disorder, it's easier to brush it off. Whereas a heart condition, leukemia, etc are all VISIBLE, TANGIBLE illnesses, thus making them easier to wrap your mind around.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:19 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I have a 12 year old with autism and I've never had anyone say that to me! Obviously if someone says that, they have no clue and I would just ignore them.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• How can you even compare Autism to any of those things?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Ive never thought of Austistic people or children as "slow" so I have no clue.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Certain states have reported shocking increases in autism, such as Illinois, which reported 5 cases in the 1992 - 1993 year, but 2,435 in 1999 - 2000, an unbelievable increase of 48,600 percent. California apparently experienced only 1,605 cases in 1992 - 1993, but experienced a whopping 8,376 cases in 1999 - 2000. Somehow, nobody seems to have an explanation as to the cause of this mysterious upswing in autism diagnoses over the decades.
    Seems like there are some misdiagnosis going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 25, 2010

------------------
    i am not comparing, one is not worse than the other to a parent that has a child who is not healthy
    not my question or debate

what i am saying is that some people hace a denile issue when you say that your child has autism (not all people, but some)
    I am thinking that because it deals with the brain health and a huge unknown topic for the most part, people feel out of control and do not know what to say, so they go into denile stage

i am not saying cancer is as bad, but heart defect is worse, but thank god is is not this or that and autism not as bad as whatever

when a parent has a child who is not healthy-it is all bad

do not tell me to celebrate autism, my child smashes her head into hard objects, walls, floors, sidewalks if not scooped up and placed somewhere safe, so no i am NOT celebrating autism

she is sick with autis
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:38 AM on May. 25, 2010

Seems like there are some misdiagnosis going on.............................................

i read wisconsin, especailly around lake michigan and fox valley, has biggest increase, we live in wisconsin in this area=i think it may be the pollution in the water??, paper companies, chemicals that polluted fox river valley and lake michigan

but causes will be later, now just trying to do everything i can to help her
    have to pick your battles, my #1 battle is to try to stop head bashing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:42 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Can you die from Autism? You can die from cancer, heart defect, spina biffia, and leukemia. They can't even effectively diagnose autism. Your comparisons are apples and oranges.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I would think that people say those things because they don't understand much about autism. I don't understand much about it, but I wouldn't ever assume that someone is 'just slow' either. I have heard people talk about where 'on the spectrum' their child has been diagnosed with autism, so there are different degrees of it as I understand it (admittedly, I don't understand much about Autism). It's more likely that they just don't have knowledge of Autism, but I can see how it would get frustrating hearing those things.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Can you die from Autism? You can die from cancer, heart defect, spina biffia, and leukemia. They can't even effectively diagnose autism. Your comparisons are apples and oranges
    ----------------------------
    if not right there to scoop up
    she can end up in hospital from smashing her head onto cemment sidewalk

because she can not die from her illness, does this make me less worthy of a response appropreiate of an illness??

when i told a very longtime good friend (we call each other sister)
    i told her that my daughter is getting tested for autism and will be in the spectrum, she said "are you sure, maybe she is just slow" and she has not returned any phone calls or emails since-two months now. she has daughter a bit younger and very healthy-she does have ear infections, i am not saying ear infections are not bad and i give her commpassion when her daughter has them, but i say autism and she acts like i am mochousion mom
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:57 AM on May. 25, 2010