Federal Employees use government credit cards for personal use. What has happened to integrity? Shouldn't they be fired?

"Washington Times" reports employees used federal credit cards to buy televisions, gold coins, clothing and other items.
The purchases were reportedly made during an 18-month transition period when the department was being folded into Homeland Security.
Twenty-one employees allegedly took advantage of the transition to go on a federally-funded spending spree.
One staffer reportedly spent 60-thousand dollars on tuition payments and professional memberships while another charged 17-thousand dollars for suits at Macy's and the Men's Wearhouse.
Of the 21 suspected of misuse during the five-year investigation, three resigned, four retired and five faced reprimand, although no action was ever taken against them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They can use the card for personal use but they also have pay for it. These few just took advantage of it, thats all.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 9:37 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My husband has a government credit card. He uses it for TDY's, PCS's, etc.... It MUST be paid in full at the end of each month. I would hope this is a rule that is across the board. It would deter abusive behavior like this. These people should be made example of and punished, even fired..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• They should NOT use it for personal use, I used to have one if we did that it was grounds for terminiation...I can't tell you how many were FIRED for that.

Yes, they SHOULD be fired

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• They should be fired without question; and have their taxes garnished till they pay us. Per my hubs company, use their credit card for private use, find a new job.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:09 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I saw this on TV this morning. Of course they should be punished. Not just punished but fired. Of course not, you can't hardly fire a government worker. Just one more reason we should rail againt any more government hirings. It only costs us more money we can't afford. It's these kinds of corrupt things that disgust me so much about our government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:29 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My husband has a Co CC for personal use when he travels for business (clients included). Yes, the Co pays for all expenses incurred: transportation, food, lodging. Of course, diligence is involved. All bills are reconciled on a monthly basis.

He travels a great deal, probably about 30% of the time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:06 PM on May. 25, 2010