Can your 6 month old do this??

Hold his or her head up, roll over, sit, grab things on their own? The reason I ask is because I really think there is something wrong with my sister in laws daugther. We all live together so I see her on a daily basis. Now I not too sure if there is something wrong with her or it's becasue her mother doesn't let her excel on her own. She is always carrying her and holding her, that baby is hardly ever not in either her moms or dads arms. When I hold her I notice that she can't hold her head up it just hangs. When I lay her on her stomach it just hangs as well, same thing with sitting she just falls forward. I know children develop at different rates. My daughter was pretty slow at everything too, but at this age I know she could at least hold her head up, try to sit up, grab things, hold her bottle and roll from back to stomach. Anything I try to help her daughter out she is like oh don't let her make too much effort. WOW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my daughters almost 9 months old and JUST started rolling from stomach to back, and is now pivoting, almost sitting by herself. But she has been able to hold her head up without support since she was 2-3 months old. I would say that the baby could have a neurological problem, and I would be bringing her to the doctors for an evaluation. I would think that the doctor would refer the child to Birth to 3 - Early on program?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 25, 2010

• The baby should be having belly time, sitting time, left out of mothers arms to beable to do those things. She may be the cause of it and or the baby is just developing slow... Who knows tell her to put tht baby down...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My daughter is 5 months and she holds her head up, tries to sit, grabs for toys and rolls across the entire living room. I give her alot of floor time though so that could be why. My first daughter I held ALL the time! She was a momma's girl and she did things a little slower. I say if the doctor isn't saying anything then she is probably fine. They check their neck muscles and all that at the well baby check-ups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Could be that she isn't on the floor enough but all babies are different so I wouldn't say anything. Since "your" baby did things at the time you expected you can't comment if you didn't research babies devolpment rates. My daughter didnt sit up until she was 8 months old but she has been talking for a very long time and has a very good vocabulary. She walked at 19 months and runs, hops, and jumps now. If your SIL's baby has a problem her Dr. will be the one to let her know. We can't espect babies to do things when it's convenient for "US."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Sorry for the typos. I'm rushing. gotta go
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My dd has been holding her head since she was 8 weeks, first time she rolled over was 5 weeks (not consistent about it til 3 months though), and can sit using her hands for support for a few minutes. She will be 5 months in about a week and a half. If you are concerned about this baby's development, maybe you should ask the mother what kind of play time she has. If the baby isn't getting tummy time and sit up practice it will take her a lot longer to learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Babies are supposed to be held all the time and they will develop stronger neck muscles being held. If a baby is being held all the time they don't need "tummy time". Tummy time was invented when babies started having development problems after the back to sleep campaign started and moms were leaving babies on their backs to sleep and in "containers" like car seats, seats, swings, bouncers, ect. most of the time. There is even something called container baby syndrome. Holding or using slings or carriers can be substituted for tummy time.

Lucky baby to be held all the time. The baby may have developmental delays but it isn't from being held. I would talk to HCP.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:01 PM on May. 25, 2010

• OP: The babies doctor does say she is worried about her since she isn't holding her head up same thing that the baby isn't even trying to roll over. I honestly think it's because that baby is being held all the time, how is a baby going to learn to do anything when you don't let them or even try to teach them how to do things? She baby doesn't even fold her legs, if you were to hold her underneath her armpits and jump her they stay straight. I don't know I feel bad and I know it's not my business but since I live with her I see this baby on a daily basis and I think it's sad that her own is not letting her develop right. I do tell her just to let her be and she just says ohh.. as if I was crazy for saying stuff like that.

Anonymous