I need help. I have come to believe my almost 6 year old has jealousy issues how can I help her?

She came out of school yesterday very upset we ended up arguing and I punished her and took her home instead of to the park like we were supposed to. Later I spoke to one of her friends moms and she said her son told her my daughter was upset because he was playing with two other little girls at recess. My daughter apparently didn't want him to play with them just with her. I don't know what to do to help her if this is the case. I had issues with jealousy myself and I am praying it is not the case because jealousy is a terrible thing it makes you very lonely. Any ideas?

momto1727

Asked by momto1727 at 11:14 AM on May. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i'm dealing with the same thing. My son for some reason thinks you can only have 1 best friend. I tell him you can have lots of best friends but he doesnt seem to understand that. He gets upset if 1 kid plays with another on the playground and they arent focussing all the attention on him. I've also noticed that if one kid wants to join him and a friend to play my son tries to leave that kid out. I think this may be from him being the only child and only having me to play with for so long. He is a good kid. He is very kind, he shares, has never gotten in any trouble...i just don't like what i see on the playground. I don't know how to deal with this either.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Thank you it sounds like the same exact situation. She is usually a very sweet little girl unless pushed into a corner and then the horns come out!
    Uggh what to do because I try and try to explain also she just doen't get it! She would rather play by herself than with a group unless the group is of her making.
    Only child syndrome?
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 11:28 AM on May. 25, 2010

• well my sons prek teacher says he does fine in a group doing there team work but. She has never had a bad thing to say about him. As far as i can see though whenever i see him play i notice he picks one child to play with and he only wants to play with that child. He doesnt want anyone else butting in.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:32 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I think it is just a phase.
    My Son also same way, hope it'll past )
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 11:36 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I would talk to her about friendship and how a person can have more than one friend. I think there is short shows about that very issue on like Barney and Sesame Street and stuff. Try going to your library and have the childrens librarian look up some books and videos for children to watch and then watch them with her and talk about it.
    Hope that helps!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:39 AM on May. 25, 2010