Getting my first tattoo in a couple weeks, what should I expect?

It isn't anything huge...maybe a good six inches in length and 3 inches in height, but I am getting it on the top right of my back (shoulder blade). Hubby has a bunch of tattoos so its hard to ask him, but I am just wonder what I should expect from pain? I am pretty good about pain and don't mind shots. How deep do the penetrate the skin? I have honestly never even seen someone get a tattoo. And yes, I have thought about this for close to 5 years and have wanted to same tattoo for that long.

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 11:15 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have the top of my back done, from shoulder to shoulder. Its not a bad spot to get tattooed there are definitely more painful places. To me it feels more like a burning sensation than a needle stick. It does not penetrate the skin very deep at all. Don't worry its really not that bad.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:18 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Congrats!!! i am getting my tattoo on June 2nd. I can't wait :)
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 11:16 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I had my first one in March... and it honestly isnt that bad... They say the outline hurts the worst, but I thought that the shading was worse... imo. Just make sure to take good care of it afterwards and it will look great! It kinda feels like if you have a sunburn and you scratch it lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I have 8..dont worry :) The ones that hurt the most on me were my Chest and my back.I have tattoos on my Arms because it hurts less lol.I have a duck on my ankle and that hurt. :/
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Getting a tramp stamp or something smaller? Its no big deal, but make sure it is something appropriate you won't be embarrassed of as you get older. The older you get the more they fade and sag. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You should expect to waste a lot of money on nothing...money that could be spent on your family's basic needs . Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 25, 2010

• well, thank you last two anons...my "tramp stamp" is going to be a tattoo in remembrance of my grandma and the fact that we have hereditary breast cancer. But thank you for the very inappropriate comments...not necessary.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:43 AM on May. 25, 2010

• REGRET-I'm in my 30's and trust me what you like when you get older won't be the same as what you like now. I love tattos but I'm just sayin' most of friends who got tattoos ten years ago-will tell you-"I wish I never got this" or "I wish I never got that" think it over before you get it done. Remember it is there forever.....even when your old and fat and then they just look like nasty stretched out regrettable pieces of art forever on your body.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 11:46 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Ok not trying to be mean but I didn't ask about whether or not I'll regret it. Like I wrote, I have been wanting this for quite some time and there is no doubt in my mind to whether or not I'm going to get it...I am. I was asking about the moment I am getting it done...the pain..what it feels like, ect.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:49 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I just read your response-I think that is wonderful it for your grandma. In the case, it might not be regrettable :) BUT I would consider putting it in a spot you can hide later just in case it DOES fade or you need to hide it for any reason at all. I am not trying to put you down in any way. I am speaking from experience and I wish someone would have told me back in the 90's when I decided to forever stamp my leg with a sunflower.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 11:49 AM on May. 25, 2010