Would you call this a hate crime?

Police are describing the vandalism inside a Catholic church school in Maywood as"a hate crime."

Officials with the Maywood-Cudahy police department say vandals broke into the Santa Rosa de Lima Church School Sunday night.

Police say someone scrawled"666" in the kitchen, stuck a knife into a painting of the Virgin of Guadalupe and defecated in an auditorium.

Police describe the vandalism as"of a heinous nature."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/05/maywood-hate-crime-.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like one to me.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Hate towards the church, the religion, God. Yes, I would call it a hate crime.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:29 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Honestly sounds like a group of teenagers getting their kicks, but it is hateful. Hopefully they catch who did it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:34 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes it is. And by the decription of what they did, it is much more serious than teens getting their kicks. It seems to me they have some mental illness, a lack of morals. They need help, quickly. Teens tp- ing a home and trees in the yard are getting their kicks. What they did at the church was sick.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:39 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Sounds like it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:39 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Even though I dislike religion, I have to agree this was a hate crime. It was obvious the motives behind the attacks were because of the religion itself.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:47 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes!

Answer by older at 11:48 AM on May. 25, 2010

• No. I wouldn't. It sounds like a stupid teen age prank. I don't think the intent was hateful, just stupid. Do I think they should pay for the damage as well as serve some time? Yes, but do I honestly believe it was a hate crime? No.

The title of "hate crime" is based on intent not actions...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes ... it was done in a hateful and bitter way... not to mention dishonorable and disrespectful .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:21 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It was so abnormal ,too. A normal person does not do those things, the defecating....that is just sick and mentally ill. They need to be seen by a psychiatrist, maybe institutionalized. People are way too easy on criminals and sickos....they ARE sick.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:51 PM on May. 25, 2010