Where did the different races of people come from? Christians and all beliefs.

As my dd prepared for her test on Social Studies, I found an opportunity to tell her some history on America, slavery, pilgrimage, and immigration. So she asked me where all the different types of people come from. I would like to hear from all beliefs/evolution/atheists/etc. Very curious. Thanks.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 11:47 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you look up in the Bible look for the story where the King is building a tower to Heaven. He shot an arrow thru the rainbow which angered God. Thus God punished the people by giving them different languages. Hence each different group of language of people moved away. I believe based on that teaching, means that the people's climate, enviroment and etc changed how they look now. Just a thought to share.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 11:55 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Snakes are found on almost ever corner of the world, but when you go to England you will find very different breeds of snake than you will in Brazil. Why? Because evolution allowed them to evolve according to what was needed in their environment.

The same went for people. Africans had to deal with a much hotter sun and less water, so they developed skin which would allow them to deal with their climate.
    Europeans had to deal with colder temps and less son, so they developed much less sun protection and more body hair.
    And the list goes on... Each area of the world had different evolutionary needs and the people there developed accordingly.

BUT, just like you can take a snake from Brazil and keep them in England, people have adapted through science to survive equally in all climates at this point... And as we have done so, we have created our own "breeds" or races which have a mix of these evolutionary developments...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Cloud - you are referring to the tower of Babble... However, that story does NOT answer the question of race. In fact there were different races prior to that time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on May. 25, 2010

• i did always like the story of the tower of babble. i think thats probably the only bible story thats really ever made a little bit of sense to me
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:03 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Tower of Babel.
    Anonymous

• oh, looky a troll came out to play
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:52 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Sab pretty much covered it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Africans had to deal with a much hotter sun and less water, so they developed skin which would allow them to deal with their climate.

^That makes zero sense. Black and other dark colors ABSORB the sun, whereas White and other light colors reflect it. It would make more sense for Africans to have white skin to reflect the sunlight, not soak it up. That reasoning is very flawed.
    Anonymous

• unless that was you sabrina correcting your sp..sorry =) i don't know how to spell that. I just assumed everyone knew what was being talked about. No need to correct. I agree with what you said at first though. i did always like that bible story..really thats the only one that really stuck in my head
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Skin colour, hair colour and type and racial features are all the result of environmental (hot, cold, humid or dry) evolution.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:15 PM on May. 25, 2010