my son just turned three and isnt speaking clearly is that bad?

Sweetheart08

Asked by Sweetheart08 at 12:04 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No just keep talking to him, conversation builds up his verbal skills.

My son was like that, he is now six, and sometimes I have to ask him to stop talking. LOL, he is doing very well.

I would not worry, but definitley let your peditrician no.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:07 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would check with his doctor just to be on the safe side, at three most toddlers talk up a storm.

Answer by older at 12:16 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Mine is 3 and slightly speech delayed, but he's been through ECI (started just before age 2) and now he sees a speech therapist once a week and will be attending Head Start in the fall. As others have suggested, I would talk to his pedi about your concerns and they can recommend if anything needs to be done.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son turned 4 and has some speech delays. His doctor thinks it may have something to do with his ADHD. If you are concerned, talk to his doctor. If he feels there might be a problem, then take him to a speech therapsit. My son has seen one for less than 2 months, and his speech has picked up dramatically. Of course, he is a fast learner. Go by what you feel. Remember, every kid is different.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:19 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My 4 year old niece were the exact same way, and she was diagnosed as being developmentally delayed. She is currently geting in home therapy, and seeing a child neurologist.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2010

• kfree907 is absolutely correct don't worry about him speaking clearly until a little after preschool age. i've worked in a pre school and have seen children just like your son become the most articulate by the time they went on to kindergarten. each child develops at btheir own pace. we need to stop trying to speed up what will come natura;lly, keep talking to him and read to him tell him stories he'll come around.. good luck!
    MomInc

Answer by MomInc at 2:22 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You can request (in writing, certified mail) your school district do a speech evaluation.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:05 PM on May. 25, 2010