I have a road trip question.

My family is going to be taking a 550 mile road trip this summer. With the way that we are going it is going to be about a 12 hour trip. We have 3 boys (ages 4, 6, and 11). I'm trying to think of ways to entertain them. I have already bought brand new crayons for each one of them and planned on making them their own box of treasures. I bought 3 small tote like boxes that are about the size of a shoe box and want to fill it with goodies for each of them. Any suggestions on what to get? For some reason I'm at a lost on this one.

Also any suggestions on how to keep them from fighting in the backseat?

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 12:25 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• One thing my daughter used to really enjoy was pipe cleaners. She could make all kinds of things with those (great if your kids are imaginative). It kept her busy for a long time, and it didn't make a mess in the car.

Another thought is to pack little wrapped surprises and let them have a new prize periodically (I always did this when we flew). I found little things at the dollar store and the party store.

Anonymous

• PORTABLE DVD PLAYER! :-)
    Anonymous

• If you get out somewhere to play or something be careful that they don't leave the crayons melting on the seat in your car! I would also stop at a rest stop from time to time so they can get out and run around.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:27 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Gameboys are great for road trips LOL but expensive for 3.. It keeps my kids entertained for hours. Also a MP3 player for the oldest if he is into music, that keeps my girls busy.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Legos were a good toy for my daughter when we did a road trip that was about 12 hours.
    I also recommend a portable DVD player, books, maybe some flash cards.
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 12:30 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Then there are the old stand by's. Checking off each state licence plate and trying to find them all. And tallying road kill by animal and one category for the unknowns. LOL

Anonymous

• Make sure every stop you make for gas or anything...that you let them out to strech their legs, and have a potty break. I took a road trip from Massachusetts to Illinois...it was over 2000 miles....21 hour drive with a 3.5 month old and a 2yr old. It wasn't so bad. But you gotta make sure you let them out as often as you can, otherwise they WILL be miserable. And the portable DVD player is a brilliant idea. We brought one when we went, and it kept them quiet for a while. Even maybe a cd player or mp3 player with headphones for the older one? Hand held games like GameBoy...PSP...stuff like that? Good luck mama....that's gunna be a fun trip lol have fun!
    Anonymous

• those little hand held games that you get for like ten bucks are good- I would get colored pencils rather than crayons- they will get lost and melt eventually and be a huge mess. take snacks -make them get out when you stop to stretch- let them watch a movie on the laptop or if they have mp3's that helps- make cd's of music you can all sing along to...
    *as for the fighting....good luck!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:29 PM on May. 25, 2010