Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you tell a mentally challenged teenager to "go away" in a nice way?

There's a mentally challenged 15 year old boy who lives in my neighborhood. He comes over to our street everyday and plays with my 8 year old son and his friends. Sometimes he get rough with them and hits them, my son is now afraid of him and will go in the house when he comes around. Yesterday, my 14 year old daughter was on in the swimming pool and on the trampoline with a couple of her friends, they were wearing their bikini's. While they were on the trampoline he came into our yard and just stared at them, which made them feel very uncomfortable. I don't know exactly where he live or who his parents are.

Answer Question

Asked by staceynoel at 12:42 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 12 (852 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • I think your best bet is to find out who his parent is and talk to them about the uncomfortable situation and how you don't want to hurt his feelings.

    Answer by older at 12:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • In your yard? Don't you have a locked gate? Find his parents asap.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • There isn't a nice way. You can strike up a conversation with him to find out who his parents are/where he lives and talk with them. Just tell them that you've seen him hanging out in your yard and you were concerned that he might be lost. When you see him, go outside and nicely tell him that he needs to run along home.
    I have a 12 year old son with autism and that's how I would want the situation broached with him if it should arise (although I don't let him outside of our yard without supervision)

    Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • yeah you need to find his parents. have you talked to him at all? maybe you could just tell him that you would like to meet his parents. what is a 15 yr old mentally challenged boy doing wondering the streets alone?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • No anon, I do not have a fenced in yard, the only fence I have is around the pool, the rest of the yard is all open, so kids do just walk into my yard, which I never had a problem with, until now.

    Answer by staceynoel at 12:50 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • anon, I have tried talking to him and so have the other neighbors, he's difficult to understand.

    Answer by staceynoel at 12:52 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • I agree ask him to bring you to his house. Follow him there and nicely tell his parents about your problem.

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Have him show you where he lives if you can't understand him. Otherwise, I'd call the police and explain your concerns if the boy doesn't understand. For safety reasons and his welfare, this whole thing doesn't sound safe for him either. Have you tried telling him that it is your rule that you have to speak to the parents of the children who play in your yard. You need to talk to his too, just like the other kids, before he is allowed to play.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Why would any parent just let their mentally challenged child roam around unsupervised?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • I'd find out where he lives and talk to his parents. They need to know that he's wandering all over the neighborhood. He could get himself into trouble like that.

    Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.