If I was to shave my dogs coat would that help them with the heat?

I give them water and shade and shelter but they do stay outside our home is too small to bring them in anyway they are golden retrievers and I was thinking just maybe get their coat cut short or maybe even shaved?
Your thoughts ladies, Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Yes, it will. My dad is going to get his wirehair shaved this summer to keep her cooled down too. She'll go out to play and come back in after half an hour and drink down (literally) two gallons of water. He's just going to shear her and she'll stay a lot cooler.
    Anonymous

• I'd ask the vet. My mom shaved our old dog once and she got very depressed bc she knew she looked different. True story. Do you leave them out all winter too?
    Anonymous

• Yes, but you have to get clippers with a guard and leave at least 1.5 to 2 inches of hair. If you shave the hair too close they get chills and go into shock, even in hot climates (we live in TX with 100+ summers). We clip our golden retreiver and it helps her, but we are careful to just trim her coat, don't just shave it off.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:56 PM on May. 25, 2010

• The only issue with that is, is that could cause them to have issues with confidence if you shake if too close to the skin.
    It will help with the heat, but don't shave it too short.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I do it to both of my dogs and they are inside dogs, the heat in Miami, is way too much for them, I would do it, but don't go completely shaved just a low cut, it will make them cooler.

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on May. 25, 2010

• They will also be more prone to sunburn without their fur. Be careful.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 1:33 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It is actually a bad idea because the coat helps regulate their body temp.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

• NO! The dogs hair keeps them warm in the winter AS WELL as keeping them cool in the summer. It works both ways. Goldens don't require hair cuts like poodles, shitzus and dogs like that. And if you shave them you are risking them getting sun burns also. Call your vet and ask if you would like.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 5:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You can take them to the groomer to have the longer hairs trimmed flush with the undercoat. I wouldn't advise buzzing them down since they are outside only due to risks of sun exposure. But a nice trim of all the "butterfly" hairs certainly doesn't hurt.

Oh, and a plastic kiddie pool, you know, the one that's like, 3 or 4 feet across? You can put in 3-4 inches of water in the bottom of it for them to lay in to cool down. Keep it in afternoon shade if possible... but it always helps. As well as fresh drinking water, but I think we've talked about these goldens before, and I support your decisions!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree with Kyliesmom and staciaw - goldens have the coats they do to protect them from the elements, and sun. I groom dogs and I absolutely die when people tell me to shave down their goldens, labs or collies. When taken proper care of the undercoat will act as a type of a/c during the summer. What you want to do is take them to a groomer if you don't have the time and have them given a good brushing out to remove any old dead undercoat, this also removes any tangles or matts, which will help the coat do it's intended job. You can have the belly coat and feathering scissored short . Like matobe suggested I would get a kiddie pool and keep it filled with water for them to lay in. If you do decide to shave them off, know that it is difficult to shave them without them being short, and because of how short the coat will be, you will want to get some infant sunscreen to apply to help them fight off sunburn. good luck
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 10:16 PM on May. 25, 2010