If your kid was very smart as a baby/toddler, did they continue to be smart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that as long you help develop a love of learning and encourage them so they feel a sense of pride and accomplishment for learning knew things they will continue to learn new things.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:04 PM on May. 25, 2010

• so far. He will be going to kindergarten next year. He was a very smart baby though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:06 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Generally speaking. All children are smart, but it also has to do with the influence around them as well. Are they encouraged to learn and grow? Are they shown new things everyday? Are they tested with their abilities and shown to always find out what you're capable of? All of those types of things are important in whether a child continues to show their intelligence or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes. My son that had developmental delays as a toddler (not smart) didn't remain continue to be not smart in ways that others could notice. He has a low IQ but he passes for normal. He has a good job, reads well and has a good vocabulary.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2010

• No. My oldest was practically reading before kindergarten. He was writing his own valentines at 3. Now he struggles a lot in school. He is 15 and barely passing. I don't think what they can do as a toddler has anything at all to do with what they will end up doing. He also has ADD.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on May. 25, 2010

• well... the problem is not intelligence but common sense lol. my daughter was talking in complete, grammatically correct sentences before a year and a half. she knew colors at this time too - very good with conceptual thinking and continued to be. she struggled in high school but i see it mainly as distractions, lack of focus, and possible bipolar but at least stubborness. success in school depends not only on intelligence but ability and willingness to follow rules and conform by way of working the way the system is set up. my daughter's creative mind resisted...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It varies so much. I was a very smart baby and toddler, speaking in full sentences before age one and reading the newspaper after coming home from preschool by age four. Never had any trouble in school, always top of the class with very little effort. My son was also a very smart baby, uttered his first sentence at 5 months and he was doing 12 and 24 piece puzzles pretty much as soon as he could physically hold the pieces. He's more average now, ahead of most of his class mates in terms of general knowledge because he's very inquisitive and loves museums and non-fiction books but he still has trouble with his letters and he knows his numbers but can't do addition or subtraction particularly well yet and he'll be five in a few months.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:19 PM on May. 25, 2010

• "No. My oldest was practically reading before kindergarten. He was writing his own valentines at 3. Now he struggles a lot in school. He is 15 and barely passing. I don't think what they can do as a toddler has anything at all to do with what they will end up doing. He also has ADD"

It was the same as this with my daughter. She was reading in pre-K. She started kindergarten way ahead of the other children in her class. I was even advised to move her to first grade when she was in kindergarten. I am so glad I didn't do that. Within a few years the ADHD severely limitd her success and she barely passed many grades.
    Anonymous

• My 2nd child had developmental delays, but he's now in 4th grade in the AG program on the very higher end and is extremely smart!!

Answer by missanc at 3:17 PM on May. 25, 2010

• So far, yes.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:54 PM on May. 25, 2010