Do you hide money from your husband?

My husband and I both work and he makes more an hour than I do but I bring more home a week. Anyways, he blows through money like crazy and we are in the process of trying to be debt free. My mom thought it'd be a good idea if I got a seperate savings account and put just 20-50 dollars a week in there. (My check varies on the amount due to having overtime and travel time... that sort of thing) But I feel like thats wrong. And although, if he was keeping money from me and saving it.. not spending it.. I'd be happy about that, that we had money saved. So is it wrong to save here and there without the other knowing? Or should I just tell him. And he's not HORRIBLE with money but everytime we have any extra money left over, he wants to use it for something we don't need and I'm sick of it to be honest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Start saving it. He will be happy when he finds out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:34 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Nope, never. My Dh has a bad habit of spending money without thinking. But everything in this marriage is equally ours and we don't hide anything, including money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would take your moms advice then in the end you'll be glad you did:)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:42 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would recommend setting a budget and both of you contributing a set amount of your check to a household account. from this money you pay all bills and even set up a savings account that you put money into. You can then each have a set amount for an allowance that you can spend on whatever you wish. If you choose to save some of yours then you can. If he wants to spend his allowance then he can.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Nothing wrong with at least one of you being responsible.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't. But I've always heard people say that a woman should always have a reserve somewhere. It is a man's world still. As long as your intentions are good as to why you are saving, I don't feel it is a bad thing.
    But.....if anything were to happen to your marriage in the future and he finds out about the stash, he is entitled to half. So keep it in your mom's name and do not do direct deposit or it can be traced back to your income. Make cash deposits or have your mom make cash deposits if you trust her. Use her address also.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:21 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't know if I would do that or not. I know that to hide money just for the sake of hiding it from him, to keep a secret, I could never do. I couldn't lie to him that way. And he's very responsible and cautious, so I don't have to worry about him spending us into massive debt, so I've never really given it any thought. I suppose, if it's the only way you can keep him from spending every dime you have, then you gotta do what you gotta do. But, have you tried talking to him about it first? Sit down and explain your budget to him, show him the bills, the income, etc., and try to get him to understand that you want to save the extra money "just in case".
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:44 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think hiding anything from your DH or SO is never good. I would tell him about the account and even start making plans with him to take 20 out of his pay checks to have even more money getting saved. Hiding things just seems wrong because eventually they always find out..then there's a big arguement over something so stupid really. I'd just tell him and start a savings plan with him.
    MarrsBar211989

Answer by MarrsBar211989 at 2:51 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think you need to tell him you are sick of it. Why start hiding things in your marriage. If my DH did this I would be upset. No unilateral financial decissions in our relationship. Once waaaay back he got his mom to co-sign for a quad...man did the shit hit the fan then! No major purchases ets without the others knowledge.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:21 PM on May. 25, 2010