Uncirc'd boys - Are you able to....

retract their foreskin? My ex husband just told me that our 8 yr old is completely unable to retract his foreskin. I had my son try again and he really can not expose any part of the penis. I made him a doc appt but I wanted to see how common this was and what your outcome was. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my son and yours are about the same age his doesn't retract either I took him to the doctor who freaked out. At the time he was about 5 and I was concerned since I didn't know much about foreskin (his dad was out to sea). Well after the doctor freaked out I talked to a doctor more familiar turned out his penis was fine they don't always retract this early. After talking to intact males most stories I've heard are from puberty on before they retracted.

nautired

Answer by nautired at 8:29 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You are suppose to have done the retraction as a baby and then taught him how to do it himself specifically for good hygene, now it will probably need some doctor intervention which will not be a pleasant thing. This is one of the many reasons moms do the circumcision, so they do not have to go through all that.

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2010

• NO ITS TOTALLY NORMAL!!!!

OLDER YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....REALLY YOU DONT.

Boys sometimes dont fully retract until puberty and if you forcibly pull it back then it tears underneath letting infection in though the open sores.....THIS is how rumors about infections get started from people not knowing what to do.

Wash it like a finger and when its able to retract your son will know and then he will be able to rinse underneath....maybe a tiny bit of soap rinsed well.

PLEASE PLEASE dont listen to people who dont know....Americans have no idea about intact boys.

No reason for Dr's vistit, your son is normal.
    Anonymous

• Oh my gosh older, you are so incorrect. Retraction is what hurts the penis. My son is 7 and still not retracted, never had one issue at all. Get a book, read, educate yourself!
    Anonymous

• Care of the uncircumcised boy is quite easy. ``Leave it alone'' is good advice. External washing and rinsing on a daily basis is all that is required. Do not retract the foreskin in an infant, as it is almost always attached to the glans. Forcing the foreskin back may harm the penis, causing pain, bleeding, and possibly adhesions. The natural separation of the foreskin from the glans may take many years. After puberty, the adult male learns to retract the foreskin and cleanse under it on a daily basis.

Copyright © 1984, 1990. American Academy of Pediatrics

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

• op here - Older, you are giving scary advice, I had pulled this quote "Fortunately, when it comes to taking care of your infant's, your toddler's, or your older child's uncircumcised penis, leaving it alone is probably the most appropriate suggestion." to show you that you may be wrong.

So, ladies, does my son not need to see a doctor yet? As I said he is only 8.
    Anonymous

• http://www.drgreene.com/qa/cleaning-penis-intact-foreskin
    here is some good information for you
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:46 PM on May. 25, 2010

• OP the info that you pulled out of that quote is completely correct. Please dont listen to people who got advice and information from their 90 year old grandmas!

Listen to those of us who care for perfectly normal and healthy intact boys!
    Anonymous

• How sad that women like older can't take 5 min and go to the AAP website to find out the facts about circumcision. There is no reason to mutilate an infant's penis. Mothers don't have to do any special care for an intact penis. The AAP has never recommended circumcision and never recommended any kind of special care for hygene.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:49 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You are right Gaill.....its not like its hidden information....yet they wanna make the OP feel like she has done something bad or wrong for her son, when really ....she has done the BEST thing for him. Hard for stubborn headed Americans to see this. Basically the rest of the world is intact.
    Anonymous