Kids and the News

It seems every time I watch the news and my kids enter the room I immeditly change the channel in fear of them hearing something that might scare them or make them feel that things are out of control.

How do you teach your kids to handle everyday real world sitiuations or do you like me try and filter as much as possible and feed it to them in baby bites?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How old are you're children? I think with younger children 6 and under that's a totally appropriate response. Honestly we do not watch the new here with the kids up and around. That does not mean they or I am ignorant of current events. We read newspapers and I keep up on the news by browsing the Internet. Really there are something they do not need to know about, such as this child being missing, or this person being murder, etc. There are however other things we do share and discuss such as the oil spill. They have seen the life feed on the computer and know what it's doing to the ocean and wildlife. They also know that those things will also effect our gas prices and what we will have to pay at the pump.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:49 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Sounds like we share the same idea. My kids are 5 and 6.
    Anonymous

• I just don't watch the news, because frankly, I don't care.
    Anonymous

• I just tell it to her like it is, in terms she can grasp. I don't agree with sheltering kids from the world around them. Kiwi is 5 and does just fine with it, asking good questions. She doesn't get scared of it and has no fears. She knows about kidnapping and because of this she knows what to do if someone tries to take her. She knows about sex and rape and because of this she knows how people are and are not supposed to touch her. I feel better with her knowing and being prepared rather than her being in the dark and clueless should naything happen. She's not afraid of someone taking or raping her, but she knows what to do should it come up.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:09 AM on May. 26, 2010

• The closest to TV news at our house is the Daily Show; we read newspapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I came down with some serious depression and anxiety issues from watching/reading too much "news" myself. Now I read only what I consider the Real News- ie the politics of my area, trends, weather, world political climate, science news, etc. and am much healthier and happier (my husband does the same). So no, we don't watch TV news. I don't believe it's really good for anybody to see endless attacks and misery (political or physical). It's too easy to be discouraged, anxious, miserable or desensitized (plus, I don't approve of their focus)

I do believe we should teach kids bad things happen. As the PP mentioned, it's good to know what is out there so they can be prepared and therefore safer. But not to repeat over and over and over about murders and threat of possible nuclear attacks any day from anyone that we can do nothing to prevent
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:30 AM on May. 26, 2010