How can I help him talk?

My son is a little over two and a half years old and he just doesn't talk. He communicates well through other methods, such as grabbing my hand and leading me to what he wants, but sometimes he just yells and you have to guess. I don't know what to do. I read to him, he doesn't pay much attention, though, and I also use flash cards with him to show him pictures with the words and I say the word -- he's learned a few words that way, but I'm unsure he understands their meaning, as he will just sit and say octopus over and over again. He sings songs almost perfectly and can count to 13, so I just don't understand what's going on here when it comes to speaking. Please any advice or similar experiences will be much appreciated. I really need some help here.

greenfairy9

Asked by greenfairy9 at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • Take him on play dates with kids his age that do talk. Seeing other kids do it will help him learn the fastest. When I met my (now husband) his son was 2.5 and didnt talk either, but my DD did who is only 4 months older than him. Within months you could understand him and he was speaking full sentenses.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:20 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Get him tested by a birth to 3 program

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:20 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Please call you Dr and ask to be refered for speech therapy. He should be saying words by now mom, and EARLY intervention is better than waiting.

My dd started speech when she was 18 months old and it was FREE FREE FREE and helped her so much.

Many of these programs are state sponsored...so call...get him some help. They will even teach you how to work with him which is GREAT!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:21 PM on May. 25, 2010

• When he want something and you know what it is. Just say the name of the word. Over and over when he want it. Try to get him to say it. If he will not try to say the word. Do not give it to him. Especially if he does not need it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:23 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Don't give it to him until he says what it is. For example, if he leads you into the kitchen and points at a package of Oreos, don't just give him the Oreo. Say "Oh, do you want a cookie?" If he nods, grunts or points, then say "Well, then you need to tell me that you want a cookie." If he throws a hissy fit, then say "I'm sorry, but you need to tell me if you want a cookie." Just make sure you emphasize the name of the object that he wants. When he actually says the word "cookie", give him the cookie.

My nephew had the same problem. My sister actually thought he was deaf, but the problem was that he would just point to something and say "this" and he would get whatever *this* was.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:26 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would have him evaluated by early intervention. There may be no problem, and they can do ahead and rule that out. But if there is a problem you are wasting valuable time that he could be using to catch up! You don't need a referral by your pediatrician - google early intervention for your area. It's free, and if he does qualify they will offer you free speech therapy for him. When he takes you by the hand, does he LOOK at you for help in getting what he wants, or does he just throw your hand in the direction of what he wants? I thought there were no problems with my oldest because he was SO smart at getting what he wanted; just because he may have a speech delay does not mean he isn't smart!!

Answer by missanc at 3:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i have the same problem with my son but he wont talk much at all let aknown sing a song say something to ur doc they will refer u to early intervention and they can do an eval. on him and get him speech therapy ... my son has his first session tomorrow morning theres nothing rong with getting them some help with talking that dosnt mean something is rong with ur child my daughter talks like a 6 yr old and shes only going on 3 it all depends on the child
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 8:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months.

I would ask your family doctor for a referral to get him evaluated. it may be nothing, or it may be a developmental delay; early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on May. 26, 2010