My neighbor stole $ from me...what should I do?

So this neighbor teenager (17 or so?) asked me for a ride. I said ok and told him to wait a minute while I found my keys. I got the keys and went outside and he was IN MY CAR already...ds had just been out there getting something from the car and apparently hadn't locked the door. I noticed after the guy got out that almost $30 was missing from my wallet!!! I KNOW it was in there since I had just gone to the bank before filling a prescription. What do I do?!
and yeah, I know, the purse shouldn't have been in the car...but it was locked (well until ds I guess) and in my driveway and we were going to be leaving again in a few minutes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• What are you going to do? Doesnt really sound like there is much you can do. Just make sure this teen is never in your house again.
    Anonymous

• Speak to their parents? I would try talking to him first....be like look, I know you took it...and if you give it back we wont ever speak of it again...but if you're going to deny it and not give it back...then I will have to get your parents involved...and that might scare them enough to just give it back and apologize...
    Anonymous

• I have teens and I know how teens operate. I guarentee that if you approach this kid and accuse him of stealing money, he is going to deny it. Might work when they are 10, but not when they are 17. As for the parents, its his word against yours, unless this kid has stolen from his parents before, you might be in for a negatinve response to you.
    Anonymous

• Are you 100% sure it was the neighbor kid and not your own? The only thing you seem to know for sure was that he was already in your car after you agreed to give him a ride, and that after that the money was gone. You didn't even know that your son had left the car unlocked when he was in it earlier? Sure it might SEEM like the neighbor is the logical choice, however I would want to rule out the possibility that was my own children before I confronted the neighbor. After all your own son had access to the car prior to the neighbor kid. If it wasn't my own children and I knew it because I confront them then I would speak with the neighbor kid's parents. I would explain that you offer to give their child a ride, he had gotten in the car while you were in the house, and after dropping him off you noticed the money was gone. I would tell them you had already confronted your own children and just trying to figure out who did it.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:06 PM on May. 25, 2010

• OP here: Yes, I'm sure it wasn't my 5 year old. 100% sure.
    Anonymous

• :) That's good!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:22 PM on May. 25, 2010

• There's nothing you can do. This happened to me once. I was very naive and befriended my neighbor. She ended up letting herself into my apt. when I had left it unlocked and stealing an expensive ring from me. She even had the nerve to wear it in front of me! I never said anything. She was very poor and desperate and I just felt too bad about saying anything...I Learned my lesson. Sometimes it doesn't matter how nice you are or how well you know ppl, there are always stealers.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:00 AM on May. 26, 2010