Would you rent a house less than 1 mile from a sex offender?

I was about to sign the lease for this house tomorrow and I just found out that this guy lives 0.7 miles from the house. He raped someone in 2000. I have 2 babies and I will be home all the time with them until my husband comes home in the evening from work.

http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/OffenderDetail.aspx?text=dacbfihh&dt=ICFICFDED4FNGENHK4da

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 2:36 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ughm, willingly no I wouldn't put myself in that position. But if you don't live where the sex offenders can't move to, like by a school or whatever they can always move right near you anyway. If you're really concerned, live where they can't.

Your best bet: Live near a school.
    Anonymous

• Noooo way!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• They are everywhere! It is so scary I know but you are never safe from them.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I'd say no, but you'd be suprised how many sex offenders are in just about every area. I have a guy that is a registered sex offender that lives a few doors down...creepy stuff.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 2:40 PM on May. 25, 2010

• There are so many sex offenders you may have problems finding somewhere to live if you don't want to live within x miles. How do you decide what to choose for the number of miles? What do you do if a sex offender moves close to you? What sex offenders do you fear?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on May. 25, 2010

• We are currently in this situation. We bought a house back in January and since then we have had a child molester move into our neighborhood( I think he got out of jail and moved in with his parents) We also had a convicted rapist move into the neighborhood behind us.. The child molester is on our street and the rapist is about 2 miles away. It scary and if I had known that we were going to have child molesters in our neighborhood I wouldn't have moved here but in our situation it was out of our control since we already live here. If I were you I would find somewhere else to rent.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:42 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Well, this guy raped someone in 2000. Why is he free already first of all? And me being by myself with the kids all day long is scary. He is the only one in this zipcode. I don't know what to do, I really want that house for the price and the location. I have to decide quick, I live in Texas and I have to be in pennsylvania within a week.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 2:51 PM on May. 25, 2010

• They are everywhere. There is a website where you can find out where they live. I'm sure this guy isn't the only one in the area. Look at http://www.familywatchdog.us/Search.asp
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Does it give more details? I know there's a registered sex offender in my town but it doesn't bother me. He was convicted of statutory rape many years ago when he was 19 so I'm betting he had sex with a 17 year old girl or something. It doesn't mean he's dangerous to me or anyone else.

Try googling the name, see if you can find any court records or news stories about the case. It might be as simple as a girl crying rape after a date, a case of mixed signals where he really didn't mean to do anything wrong. Unless there's anything about breaking and entering or assault in his record then it's highly unlikely that he's going to break in to your home. You'll quite probably never even encounter him. I've only see the guy I mentioned once and it didn't bother me at all.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Yes just because a sex offender lives in the area it doesn't not control where I live or where I go. I know how to protect myself and chances are he's just like everyone else----trying to live his life and be left alone.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 3:07 PM on May. 25, 2010