Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are Americans legally binding to do when they arrive to a foreign country?

Regulation tend to change overtime. What thing I remember is that when your visa expires you can stay as long as you pay a fee for each month you stay in that country.

Have you or anyone you know stayed for long periods of time abroad?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • My dh had to go get permission from the Chinese consulate to go over there.It's not as easy as having a passport. You get permission to stay for a certain amount of time and have to reapply if your time runs out. Says it takes forever to go through customs also

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:02 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • It depends on the country. Contact the consulate for the country in question; they can help you out.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Yep, gd. :) Google the country in question and the regulations should come up.

    Answer by urkiddingright at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Depends on the country. From my experience~Switzerland, Japan, and New Zealand have had the most hoops to jump through. South Korea was surprisingly easy!

    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:12 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Japan was insane! It took 6 months of nonstop paperwork to get our family ready for Okinawa!

    Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:14 PM on May. 25, 2010