Missing tooth

If you had a missing tooth on the top in front and had no way to pay to get a fake one.I mean no money or insurance what would you do?Would you hide?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Health

• I would find a dental school and see what they could do for me.
    Anonymous

• Dental schools only do cleanings.
    Anonymous

• dental schools still cost money. the labor may be reduced but the supplies cost the exact same as a real dental office.
    also, about 99.999999% of dental schools do only routine care such as fillings, etc

a fake tooth is going to cost you, alot. deal with the missing until you save save for the tooth. learn to smile w/ your lips closed. it'll be OK. only the richest of the rich have more than basic dental care.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• it actually breaks my heart to hear someone in this day and age suggest a dental school for something like that..... we wouldn't tell you where to have your lexus detailed or buy the best marbled kobe steaks. if you seriously know nothing about a desperate need for dental care, don't give out advice. suppose she took your advice and spent the next hour of her life being shot down from every dental college in a 200 mile radius? shameful, really.......
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:07 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Simply get used to it until you can get it fixed. Learn to smile with your mouth closed or turn your head to the side. Most people won't even notice though. My front tooth was horribly chipped for months and my own mother never even noticed.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:07 PM on May. 25, 2010

• there is a dental school here that does a lot more than cleanings. i would look into that. there is also a dental office near here that yearly gives away dental services. you would have to stand in line pretty early, and i think they take the worst cases, so probably the ones that are in pain. i would probably smile with my mouth closed until i could afford to have it fixed. you can call around and look for better deals. when dentists are just starting off, they may be more willing to cut charges in exchange for patients and referrals.
    good luck to you!
    it probably looks worse to you than it would to anyone else!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• op, don't hide. go get a few estimates from a few dental clinics. if your credit is decent, it can be financed. they don't do like "payment plans" in house, but capitol one for example has special financing JUST for dentists or JUST for plastic surgeons, etc etc. get your estimate, save, etc. however in 7-10 years when it needs to be replaced, repaired, serviced, you'll be in the same boat again. consider your options, priorities, bills, etc and weigh them against the social stigma and the area you live in. would you be the only one? could u train yourself to smile w/ lips closed tightly? etc. good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:10 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I have called the schools here but they wont help.Credit?Not likely.We have bill collectors calling now.We are foreclosing on our home.Its so depressing and so embarrassing and so degrading.It feels like my life is over.People do judge you.
    Anonymous

• the local dental school here does more than cleaning too. I know they are doing braces for a friend of mine - it definitely might be worth a try!

Answer by missanc at 4:39 PM on May. 25, 2010