Would you be mad at your mother for this? She planned a 3 week vacation at the same time her first grandchild is to graduate highschool?

My husband is upset with his mother for not going to his childs graduation. She leaves the day before his graduation and will not be able to attend. She asked if we could have the graduation party later in the summer, so that she could be there. We want to do the graduation party after his graduation, not in August when he's gettng ready for college. She knew the date of his graduation and still booked her vacation.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 3:04 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Yea, I'd be upset...that sounds like something my mother would do and not give two thoughts about it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It sucks but I would have the party later anyway. So many are going on at the same times as yours.
    Anonymous

• It's her relationship to maintain. Yes, it is inconsiderate. Yes, it's almost downright rude. But.. She did what she did, I personally wouldn't bother being mad over it. It doesn't sound like it's worth it.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:06 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't be upset with her but I would have the party when the graduate wanted it. Her loss.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• that would be frustrating. I would just do it whenever you want, and if she wants to come and celebrate with him at the end of summer let her. Dont change your plans for her. A graduation party is normally right at graduation, so I would just do what you had planned to begin with.
    Anonymous

• have the party when you and DH want to. dont give into when she says its ok.
    the thing is-you dont know her private life, nor does DH....she has her reasons...and dont force anyone to be there for your child(tho I can see why you and dh would be angry)
    let it go, let her live with it.celebrate your child. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:18 PM on May. 25, 2010

• She planned her vacation..let her go....she knew when it was...she chose to do other wise..I would hope my child wouldnt have their feelings hurt by her but I would DEFINITELY not reschulde the party.....shes gonna miss it..tough...she can celebrate with him when she gets home!!! no need in rearranging life for her vacation plans. That may sound harsh..but what she did was pretty screwed up to me!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:20 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i would not be mad at her, nor would i change the date of the party to accommodate her.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:23 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I'd be upset, but that's her loss.
    She made her choice. Now you can move on and celebrate your child's graduation without her.
    Harping at her will only make more drama and more stress, but she won't change her mind. Clearly she has decided her vacation is more important. So leave her to her vacation and celebrate without her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:33 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree with PP. Dont act upset but feel free to tell her "Thats too bad, I will explain to (graduate) that you can't make it. I know he was looking forward to celebrating with every one." then take loooootttts of pictures of him next to all of the important people in his life that actually decided to show up. DONT change the date. She knowingly planned it...this is your sons moment, not hers. She was invited and made other plans, her loss.
    Tell your husband that you dont want him to make a big deal out of it for your sons sake and that he will be supported by plenty of other family members and friends.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:07 PM on May. 25, 2010