Do you think this is too harsh of a punishment??

My DS is 4, he is in pre-school, and I am in School full time. This morning he said he was sick, he has a habit of lying and saying he is sick even if he wasn't. I have always told him thats fine but sick boys stay in bed, and don't get to have fun. Usually that makes him get up and get ready for school. I don't want him to think that NOT going to school is an option unless you are really sick. Today he pulled the same routine and I said to him okay, but you need to stay in bed, he said okay, and went back to sleep. He got up a few hours later, and started with the I'm not sick anymore routine because now he wants to play. Do you think I am being harsh in telling him no, he has to stay in his room, because sick boys don't play?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• GIRL I WOULD MAKE HIS BUTT GO TO SCHOOL OR HE GET A BUTT BUSTING ! U NEED TO BUST HIS BUTT !
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not!! That's the rule in my house. And all you get to eat and drink is chicken noodle soup or plain oatmeal with ginger ale or water... they really only stay home when theyre sick now!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Haha, my oldest tried that once. When she thought it was too late to go to school, she felt so much better all of a sudden. I told her to get dressed and I took her to school. She never did that again LOL..

No, I think you did the right thing, if it wasn't to late I would take him to school.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would have taken his temperature. And if it was not over 100f I would have told him "you are going to school, you do not have a temperature".

Now if it was a day he was not going to school I would make him stay in bed.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Maybe he really did feel sick in the mornign but after getting more rest he felt better? Hey, its a long shot..but he could have been telling the truth,lol. My son likes to make up stuff too to get to stay home from school...although mine is older...yours must be a really smart guy to think up that scheme so young,lol.
    I tell my son that he can't play vidio games when he stays home sick. That usually gets him going,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• when i was sick and stayed home from school i wasn't allowed to play or anything until the next school day. so if it was a friday i stayed home, there was no playing all weekend.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's too harsh, and I would probably do the same thing. But you also need to find out why he's doing it. Is something happening to him at school that's upsetting him or does he just want to stay home and play? I played the sick card alot, but it was because I was getting teased and picked on all the time and I hated being around that. I realize he's only 4, but things could happen (hey I started getting teased around the same age).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:04 PM on May. 25, 2010

• When I stayed home, if I really was sick, I would lie around and watch tv. I did not feel like playing.
    Anonymous

• Wow, when I clicked on this, I thought it was actually going to be something HARSH. Not this! LOL.

Definitely not harsh!!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• you did the right thing, if i stayed home sick i had to stay in my bed, no phone, no computer no visitors. I had to lay there and rest, and my mom would call and check up on me if i was old enough to be by myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 26, 2010