Binkie question

I'm trying to take away the binkie from my almost 2 yr old and he would rather cry all day/night than just forget about it... I'm to the point I don't know how to take it from him any more.. he don't mind when we are gone and someone else takes it from him but let me or DH take it and he will throw a fit no matter where it is... what do i do to get him to forget about it!

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:54 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him keep it, he still needs it. It won't hurt his teeth until he is 3-4 or older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:56 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Gailll is crazy. honestly, there is no easy way to do it. but by doing it now you're saving a whole world of trouble for your entire family later. he doesn't need it. he's attached to it, no doubt. just throw it away and do your best to keep him distracted. in a week this will all be over. GL :)

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I was told to try putting apple cider vinegar on it every time he wants it but then some one told me that some babies like the taste, i have heard so much on how to do it and i know it will affect his teeth cause it already it he went to the dentist and he told me its time to take it now!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:06 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i take our kids pacis away during the day first. right around 2, we take them away at nap, then bed. have you tried having your child give them to the paci fairy?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:20 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Gaill, WHATEVER!!!!

Cut a hole in the end of it. He won't be able to suck it and he won't want it anymore. That's how I broke my kids of their binkies the day before their first birthday.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:20 PM on May. 25, 2010

• happy2bmom25: I have not tried the paci fairy ! good idea!
    bethsunshine: i have tried the hole thing he don't mind it he even likes to bite holes in them and prefers it that way.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Let someone else take it away and not give it back lol
    Anonymous

• You have to hold your ground on it when you take it away because if you give it back then you are defeating your role as the parent and letting him get what he wants. You can even pack them up and have him deliver them to the babies at the hospital because they "need them more". This worked wonders on a few of my patients when I worked peds. I wish you luck whatever way you go, just be patient and remember that the screaming will only last about a week and try to replace them with a favorite stuffed animal.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i can to the conclusion he's either gonna cry it out n get over it or he will cry scream holler or whatever till he realizes im not giving it back, i took my son bippy from him at his 1st birthday party n never gave it back he had so much fun he forgot about it, the next day he wanted it and was even helping his daddy look for it, eventually after a few hours of crying he fell asleep and woke up and that was the end of that ... so i say just keep him busy the 1st day and the next dont look for it when he wants it eventually he will forget or just let someone else take it and let him c them leave with it thats how my niece gave up hers at 2 and she started sucking her thumb
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 3:22 AM on May. 26, 2010