how do you deal with a childs separation anxiety?

my daughter has separation issues. she is fine going to the park,she runs up to other kids and talk to them. But I bring her to preschool and then she starts crying don't go. The teachers say she is fine once I am out of sight.

Asked by kpeanut70 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just tell her you love her and try not to be nervous yourself. Kids pick up on that stuff. My daughter did this too but she got over it the more she went. Make sure you are talking preschool up and tell her how much fun it will be. Also, keep alert for any problems she might be having at preschool, it could be that she is scared because a kid is being mean or she has a bad teacher. This is probably unlikely, but keep an eye open for signs of that.

Answer by sapient at 4:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughter is almost 5 and last year was her first year of preschool, for the first month she screamed and cried when I left, her teachers literally would have to pull her free from me. I hated it by the time I got back to my car I was crying. I just had to stay firm with her and my husban and I offered her a reward if she would act like a big girl and go for 2 weeks without throwing a fit when I left. Finally she got to where she loved it and she actually cried on her last day cause she was going to miss her frineds. Hang in there mommy, I think it's actually harder on us mommies than the kids!!

Answer by redtang912 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2008