advice??

One of my best friends just passed. Her son and my son are best buddies. They are 6.
I don't know how to tell him and what to tell him.

Advice please...before I go pick him up.....

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 4:11 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell him the truth. tell him she died. Don't sugar coat it because it will only confuse him more. My sons dad died a month before he turned six. I was very honest with him about it and answered any questions he had, and I still answer questions.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would explain to him that his friend's mom passed away and explain whatever it is that she died from. Just make the answeres that you give him age appropriate. Also let him know that his friend will be very sad that he may need a little extra support, whatever it is you will be able to handle it. Sorry for your loss.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You mean died. Say died. Don't use other words so he is sure what happened. Don't say sleeping so he isn't afraid of sleeping. I don't think you should say things like god or Jesus took her away. I think that would be a horrible god or Jesus. I also don't think that you should tell him she is an angel, that's inaccurate even if you are Christian. Angels aren't dead humans. I wouldn't tell him she is watching him from heaven. I'm big on truth and again that's not Biblical and can be scary to a small child.

Explain dead and how it's forever. Let him know what's going to happen and what's going to happen to him. Let him ask questions.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:16 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I personally would not say anything to him. I would say something when I had to.

Answer by louise2 at 4:23 PM on May. 25, 2010

• kids really deal with the facts of life better than we realize. the hard part for your son, i would think would letting him know how to be supportive to his friend.i think just tell him the truth. i was about 4 when my aunt died, and i took great comfort in thinking that she was floating on a cloud watching us. i still find it peaceful image. you may want to talk to whoever is going to talk to your friends son, you may want to tell them similar things.
    i am sorry for your loss.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:30 PM on May. 25, 2010