Is it possible to get rose cuttings to put down roots if planted?

If so, what's the best way to go about it?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have never heard of rose cutting rooting like some plants do. I have some house plants that do that. But not roses.

Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My grandmother used to tell me about how my great grandmother and greatgrandfather used to do it....
    she said they would take the rose cutting just underneath where a bud for a new stem would shoot from, and put it in the ground, water it, then place a glass mason jar over it.
    I don't know how effective this was, but i'm sure you could google it and someone out there in the www would be able to tell you! :)
    I know a lot of plants can be propagated....so I don't doubt roses would be one of them! xoxoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:34 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I know I can get my "wild" rose to root by just burying part of the stem in the ground.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:11 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I remember a friend telling me to put the cuttings, no leaves on the, and younger shoots, cut end down in the soil, water and put a mason jar over each. Some of them will root, she said. In fact, she gave me some cuttings that she rooted like this.

Answer by Bmat at 5:34 PM on May. 25, 2010