Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you get car insurance if your drivers licenses has been suspended?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • You should check with your agent. It's the car that's insured not you. It would seem like you would have to keep it insured so other people could drive it and for protection for things like if a tree fell on it.


    Answer by Gailll at 4:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • nope..

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:25 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • The insurance company will check with the DMV to see what your record looks like and if they should insure you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • The suspension of the drivers licenses is not driving related. Its for failure to appear in civil court. I have a hearing in 3 months, but I need to get my car tagged.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • You cannot get insured, no. You CAN pay for the tags. But to what purpose? You can't drive it with no license. You can leave it in the driveway; it's legal to sit untagged. It just cannot be DRIVEN without tags.

    Sounds like you need to go to the courthouse and get things straightened out ASAP.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:31 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • You might be able to get it in the form of an SR22. You may also need to get a red license or some type of driver's lic. before you can get the car insured to get the tags. I would definitely check with DMV and see for sure.

    Answer by geminisummerz at 4:34 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • In my state you can not have expired tags on a parked vehicle running or not on a public street. It would need to be in a garage or your home drive way.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • YES!

    If you have a car, whether you drive it or not, it is illegal to not have insurance on it, even if it's not being driven!

    Answer by thisloveofmine at 6:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Well ladies...I GOT insurance!!!!! The Geico agent in my area did it all over the phone and faxed me my coverage slip untl I get my papers in the mail. ....

    Soooooo.....I can have insurance and I can have tags!!! I just cant drive on my DL until I go to court.. Geeeeez ! some of you guys really trip me out....

    Thanks are right!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • My son has a suspended license and he has insurance through Progressive. We did a lot of shopping around because of the cost and they by far had the best cost.

    Why do some people post if they don't know the answer. Every state has different rules.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on May. 25, 2010