Do you freak out since having a child/children

I Have talked with a couple mom friends that I met on CM and asked them this also, But I noticed after having my son that I have almost become a hypochondriac - any type of illness or bump on my breast or prolonged stomach ache, I internally think the worst.. I try not to tell anyone and can mostly keep it to myself but I have realized I am terrified of not being able to watch my son grow up or raise him myself... I am healthy and only 31 but now I find myself worrying about it more and more.. is this common and does it go away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with the 1st answer -- it's the overwhelming sense of responsibility that comes with being a Mom (a good Mom anyway) and with that sometimes comes fear. You take less risks than you did before you had kids, maybe become less outgoing, maybe overprotective of kids, worry about everything, etc. I think it happens to all of us good moms. However, if you're not careful it can really get out of control so you have to ask yourself whether or not your fear is reasonable. I've been a Mom for almost 21 years and I STILL these fears from time to time, but it does get easier ...... Good Luck
    SierraNevadaMom

Answer by SierraNevadaMom at 11:31 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think we are way more aware of our mortality once we have a child. Everything looks different after you bring a baby into this world. I also think its part of the overwhelming responsibilty and a love that cant be described in words. It will always be there, but it tones down with time.
    Anonymous

• No, not at all. I have some health issues, and I know what they are and how to treat them (although I do continue to research them and work with them) but additionally I see no reason to look for issues...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• nope. i'm not crazy
    Anonymous

• I do at times. But I also work in a doctors office and it usually happend around when a patient dies of something besides old age. Or recently because my friend just dies leaving behind an 8yo, a 10 yo and 21yo. It really put things into perspective for me. At the same time I dont call the doc for everything and I dont lose sleep over it. I can not imagine not being able to see my kids grow up. Or my kids hving to grow uup with out me.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Not in a hypochondriac way, but I FREAK while driving in the car either behind the wheel or with my husband behind the wheel when the kids are in the car. Watching CSI or Law & Order variations when something happens to a child makes me crazy out of my mind. Hearing or seeing about children getting hurt, ill, or dying makes me absolutely out of my mind insane. Fortunately, I'm aware that my reaction is out of proportion, so I can keep it under control, pretty much. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:17 PM on May. 25, 2010