How can you NOT know popcorn is a choking hazard?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/health/25choke.html

I feel terrible for their loss, but seriously? Who HASN'T gotten a piece of popcorn stuck in the back of their throat? How can you not know that, hey, that might happen to my 2 year old?

Do you think government safety labels are a good substitution for common sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anonymous

• thats such a sad story. but not everyone knows that popcorn is a choking hazard.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Honestly I wouldn't ever think of it. I've never once gotten popcorn in my throat, but I don't eat popcorn, so that's not a shock... But my thing is, why would a child be eating ANYTHING without an adult there to watch them? A child can choke on ANYTHING they put in their mouth, even water. So why would you let them eat something without being there to watch them?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on May. 25, 2010

• how old is a child supposed to be before they can safely eat popcorn? all my kids ate it before they were two. when they are just starting i make sure they don't get any of the shell, and no kernel.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Every child development book I read had it written.  Isn't that part of preparation of having a child? Or do people only ask questions on CM?

jthor

Answer by jthor at 7:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• How sad! When both of my kids (now 3 y/o and 11 m/o) go in for check-ups, the doctor gives me a sheet of paper that has milestones and warnings on it. Since they started on solid food, it has said no popcorn, hard candy, nuts, whole grapes, or un-cut hotdogs (cut them into half circles, DON'T leave them "airway-shaped"!). I still cut hotdogs and grapes for my 3 y/o. I think the age when you can stop is 4 y/o. I guess a lot of parents either don't get told, or they just don't pay attention when the doctor tells them these things.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:23 PM on May. 25, 2010

• both of my kids were eating popcorn ( and hotdogs) before they were 2 ... and neither has ever choked ( they have however choked on bananas and cheerios...which is something your "suppose" to give them) ........ But no damage was ever done, because I am always right there with them when they eat to prevent it ....

Also alot of people give their little kids peanut butter.... my brother is an EMT and it says right in his manuel that peanut butter is the main thing that they cannot get out of the throat
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:39 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Let's not be judgemental. Everyone isn't aware of all the foods that are choking hazards. The only reason I know is because the nurse at the WIC clinic gave me pamphlets containing that information. I think pediatricians should hand these pamphlets out as well to prevent accidents like this in the future. Here's a link for age-specific lists of choking hazards. As parents, we all need to be educated on this: http://www.babycenter.com/0_foods-that-can-be-unsafe-for-your-toddler_1491465.bc
    soldierluvr0407

Answer by soldierluvr0407 at 12:35 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Not be judgmental on CM? Not possible. CM is just a competition site where mothers tell other what horrible mothers they are. I do like your attitude. I just read a comment where one mom told a depressed or stressed out mom "The first step is to stop having children." Nice.
    While I do believe it is our responsibility to know the dangers that our children face, we will never be able to protect them from everything or know everything. We are all human and for every mistake we make there will be someone watching saying "How could they not have known that could happen?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on May. 26, 2010

• You're right, they'll say that until it happens to them...then they'll ask "how could this happen to me?"
    soldierluvr0407

Answer by soldierluvr0407 at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2010