Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can i change my daughters name?

I just got married ,my daughter is 4 years old, and my husband isn't the father of my daughter, but i dont want her to have a different last name than the rest of the family. Her father won't approve (he doesnt do anything for her anyway) i dont want to take her biological dads last name off all together i just want to add my new last name to her birth certificate and i want to do it as soon as possible. can someone help me?

Answer Question

Asked by luckiimami at 5:44 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Because he has parental rights, he has to sign off on it.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • yep, as long as it's in her best intrests then yes you can change her name quickly and painlessly

    Answer by aliishott2 at 5:48 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Okay when you say her birth father doesn' do anything for her, does this include support? You are going to have to get his permission to change her name,,but if he isn't having visitation or not paying support you have a better case to do so.... now if he IS doing those things you could maybe get him to agree to hyphenate her last name,,,if your new hubby legally adopts her, then this will prevent your daughter from getting child support from her bio-dad. My husbands father abandoned him at 6 months,, when he was 17 he finally got about 10,000 of the hudreds of thousands owed to him for back support. One thing for sure,, you have to get a family law attorney and unless you can claim abandonment you will need his permssion. One other thought is you just keep your old name,,, your not legally obligated to change it,, or you could hyphenate your name as well. Good luck and I hope it works out!

    Answer by kimigogo at 5:51 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Im in the same boat, but my son is 6. I hired a lawyer, and we are terminating the bio fathers rights (we havent had any support or heard from him in 5 years). We going on the basis of abandoment. My husband is going to adopt him. He has been "dad somce age one and fully supports my son. Its going to take time and a bit of $ but it will get done. We live in texas, but I sugguest calling a family law atttorny and see what you can do.

    Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 6:43 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • kimiqoqo-why did your husband get the money, isn't it supposed to be for his mother since she was the one who took care of him alone? just wondering.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • Bio Dad has to approve

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

  • He got the money because he was going to turn 18 in a couple of months,, his older sister was 21 at the time,, and IDK laws in all states,,,but in KS at 18 it would go to him,, I guess his mom thought it was unfair for the older sis to get it and not him,,, he was out of high school and in the Navy.

    Answer by kimigogo at 10:07 AM on May. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.