? about dialysis

my FIL is 70. he started dialysis 2 mo ago. he is stopping because he can't take the pain anymore. how long can we expect him to be with us?

bestmommyeber

Asked by bestmommyeber at 6:03 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Health

• I worked in a dialysis clinic for 4 years. I can understand why your FIL quit the treatments, dialysis can be very hard on your body. I recommend talking to his nephrologist as well as the social worker at the clinic( if the clinic has a social worker, mine did) to make sure he understands everything. I've seen people die within a few days or even a couple of months after stopping dialysis, it depends on their body and what else they have going on in there. Once the kidneys shut down, it's only a matter of time before everything shuts down too.

God bless you and your family. PM me if you have any more questions about dialysis. It's been a while since I worked there, but since I worked there for 4 years, I learned a lot.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:40 PM on May. 25, 2010

• without working kidneys not very long unless he gets a kidney transplant
    Anonymous

• God Bless him and your entire family. I can not imagine how he feels.
    My best guess is that it can be days to weeks, it really depends on a lot of factors. He should be receiving medical counselling about the decision, including information about hospice or home care nursing. He should be told what to expect, and what medications he can take to feel less pain and more peace.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:28 PM on May. 25, 2010