Do you think custodial parents should "ask" for child support?

I was on a social networking site and there was a group about "greedy baby mamas". A lot of people think that you should not ask for child support for your children. It is greedy.
I do agree that you should be PREPARED to handle all financial responsibility of a child/ren that you have with a person you are not with, because, let's face it, not everyone supports their children.
So, do you think it is "greedy" to file for child support?
What if the ncp gets a pay raise and you decide to want more support, is that greedy?
What if you CAN support your child's basic needs, is it greedy to receive?

Side note: I noticed on that page that most of the supporters were WOMEN not men. These were the "new" gfs or wives of the ncp who were bitter that their S/O had to support his children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I was awarded CS in the divorce... supposed to be paid to me, but I havent seen a dime in almost 2 months. I've supported him by myself for 7 years, and I dont NEED it... but it would help. That $65/week could pay for summer camp, or a tutor over the summer... or the horseback lessons he so desperately wants.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 7:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Hell no it's not greedy whether you can care for them yourself or not.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 6:11 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Well of course people should ask for CS. Why should one parent carry the financial responsibility of the child/children? They both created the child. They both should be equally responsible financially

Answer by admckenzie at 6:12 PM on May. 25, 2010

• admckenzie, that is, unfortunately the mindset of bitter women who is dating/married to someone who has to pay. They are upset. but it is their problem. They were aware the person had children. Why get mad at the other woman when he has to pay? (I say women because the majority are women who receive although I know it can go both ways). It takes TWO to create a baby. It is crazy some still believe only one person should do everything.
    Anonymous

• The other parent should pay CS end of story.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 6:55 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I totally agree that the NCP does need to pay to support the child that they created. Honestly, I wasn't given to opportunity to have more things in life because my NCP didn't want to pay so for more than 15 years he worked under the table. There were things that my sis and I wanted that we just couldn't have because of it. I can tell you that if I were to split from my DD's father that there would be a battle and one of us would have to pay.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't think its greedy. If the other parent isn't doing anything for the child then you should file. It takes two to make a kid so why should you be the only one responisble for everything just because you have custody. If the other parent is not in the picture then they should support the child in some way
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 7:42 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Child support is for the support of a child that a MAN and WOMAN created. The man (or woman) who is not the custodial parent should pay child support.

It's nice that some parents don't need the support, but the fact remains a lot of parents do, and there's nothing shameful about it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:43 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Not greedy at all. A man or woman who does not want to support their child is the greedy one.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 8:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

• OP --- I don't think many here will agree with you in this forum.

I do think it's about greed though.  If it weren't they would put that CS support in a trust fund for the child.

Anonymous