Why do some moms in The United States are declining school lunches for their children?

The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Well, those families who can afford to pack lunches, fine. When my dh and I both lost our jobs a couple years ago, there were a few times that those school lunches were the only hot meal my kids would get, and there are many families who are far worse off than we were. Sometimes those hot breakfasts and lunches are what helps kids get through the day.

At our school there are always three choices. There is a meat choice, a vegetarian choice, or a 'salad bar' choice. Also, our lunches are $1.40 per lunch, .40 for reduced meals. Neither price is bad, imo. My youngest doesn't like school lunches, and neither does my middle schooler. My 3rd grader loves them and so I let her eat lunch at school. Many times she will pick the fruit and yogurt basket or the vegetarian choice. It still may not be the healthiest meal, but it's better than some.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Because they are high in fat and sodium and are NOT nutritionally balanced. Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? Most of the food is over processed garbage.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I agree with sleepingbeautee. Also, because i know how the food was when i went the it was disgusting, there was one time mold was growing on my pizza. So, I will not let my kids eat them unless they actually want to. The only time schools had good food is on parent days like the Thanksgiving lunches.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:19 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I apologize for the grammar. OP
    Anonymous

• Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? Most of the food is over processed garbage.

I haven't. Who is Jamie Oliver's?
    Anonymous

• Nine times out of ten low cost or free equals crap.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:22 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Well for me my son has food allergies and will most likely never be able to eat a school lunch but even if he could I would not give them to him. They are full of high fat/sodium processed crap.(a chicken nugget should not have 15 ingredients on the label)
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:26 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son's school does have processed food that was prepared elsewhere. I only know this because the menu sounded good, so I joined him one day, and was very surprised!!!
    Anonymous

• What all the complaints? Your are forgetting that the school lunch has a VARIETY of foods. Even if the chicken nuggets were that bad it will be really bad if they were giving it to your child EVERY DAY but that's not the case. Children in school eat fruits, juice, carbs, protein, is a BALANCE diet.
    Anonymous

• My son's school does have processed food that was prepared elsewhere.

You must have seen something nutritional on the menu????
    Anonymous