I am eagerly searching to learn more about our Foster Son- He has been identified with Sensory Intergration Disorder and we are waiting for results on Fragile X & Williams Syndrome; Can anyone offer ways to manage the extreme hyper and impulsive behavior?

Joeys1Fan

Asked by Joeys1Fan at 6:52 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• how old is he?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Joey is 5- Will be 6 in January.
    Joeys1Fan

Answer by Joeys1Fan at 7:14 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My daughter had SID but I don't know anything about the other two conditions and how they might effect it. She is very impulsive so we just had to be all that more viligant around her. We couldn't let her play in the front yard like her cousins because she would run into the street without thinking. Or she couldn't be outside when we had the grill out because no matter how many times you warn her she might touch it. Things like that.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:18 PM on May. 25, 2010

• With the SID, are you doing a "Heavy Load' work program? Does she wear a weighted vest? Is she in a Special Ed class? I just found out about a program called the "Alert" program; great results. o you have her in therapy? TY
    Joeys1Fan

Answer by Joeys1Fan at 7:25 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't know much about it but vaguely remember watching a show on tv about it, and they had a young child with that, and they made a large area in their backyard sand - Sand for some reason seems to have calming effect on them? I forget exactly what they say.

FunandFunction.com has a Sensory Integration section and might give you some ideas that may help????
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 7:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

• TY :) Sand castles here we come...
    Joeys1Fan

Answer by Joeys1Fan at 7:56 PM on May. 25, 2010

• You could also post your question in this Foster/Adopt Parenting Group if you haven't already. http://www.cafemom.com/group/3104

BTW, I have a friend who has 1-2 adopted children that have some form of SID, and they play with flour & sugar a lot, too. Sand outside may be more practical, LOL!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:37 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son has sensory issues that center around food. We did a lot of genetic testing and he too was thought to have fragile x and william's. As well as others. So we tested and waited. The end result was negative which was a relief but at the same time I am frustated with our lack of progress in eating.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:30 PM on May. 25, 2010

• There is an SID group http://www.cafemom.com/group/10248

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

• If you haven't read "The Out of Sync" child, you might want to start there. There's a companion book called "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" that has lots of ideas. There are a couple of other good books out there that also talk about how to cope with SID (SPD). Our son (he's 3) was recently diagnosed with it and started OT. We're also looking for ways to manage it. I've found useful ideas in these books.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:52 PM on May. 26, 2010