How long does home made guacamole last? Can I freeze it?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 7:07 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We always eat it that day. If we have to put it in the fridge we put it in a freezer bag and squeeze all the air out. Mine has fresh onion and tomatoes, so I think freezing it would be gross. Maybe someone else has tried it and had a different result.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:12 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Thanks. Avacados were on sale this week. I want to make guac..for the first time. My reciepe also has fresh onions and tomatoes, but no one will be around to eat it until next week....
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:16 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think you can put the avocados in the fridge to keep them from over ripening until you are ready to use them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:17 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Don't put the avocados in the fridge. They'll get mealy. They won't last longer.

You can totally freeze guac. In fact, there are several companies that sell frozen guac in vacuum bags. Just squeeze the air out of the freezer bag and stick it in the freezer.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I never knew that ecodani... I guess I will never stick them in the fridge :p

So see... you can freeze it. But I would just freeze the avocado and make the guacamole later, especially if you are using fresh tomatoes and onion.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:14 PM on May. 25, 2010

• If you have plenty left over (while making it add a little milk) this will help it from turning brown.... Yum yum yum Delicioso I love Avocados alone with a sprinkle of salt I' ll even put it in between 2 slices of bread.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:07 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I'd freeze the whole avocado, or halved, and make quac later. I have seen many times, to save the pit, and put that in with the guac in the fridge to keep it from turning colors.
    Anonymous

• So...I'm going to go get the avocados out of the fridge now......

Thank you ladies!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I never tried freezing homemade guac, but I did recently buy some from Sam's club and it came with 3 large packs, I used one (I always spruce it up with lime juice, chalula sauce and chopped tomato before servring) but right on the package it says its ok to freeze, so I plopped the other two in the freezer =) Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:43 AM on May. 26, 2010