i've got to get her in her own bed!!!

my dd is not sleeping in her own bed...let alone through the night if she does sleep in her bed. she turns 2 next week. we have a nightly routine, after dinner cleanup, it's bathtime..then jammies...and then around 8:30 we read a book, and start settling down/laying down. she's asleep by 9:00. she'll sleep in her bed for a few hours, and at 2 or 3 in the morning she's up crying or crawling in bed with us. she's been on a pallet on our floor for the past few days, and sleeps through the night that way...but i really would like her to sleep in her bed. i need advice on how to get her to stay in her bed all night..advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hope somebody has a good answer to this. I have been going through the same thing with my DD she will be two June 10.
    Anonymous

• Just keep putting her back in her bed. You will be tired, but eventually she will get the hang of it and stay there. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• lol..no kidding! dd turns 2 june 2. i can't take her sneaking into our bed anymore...i'm losing sleep and waking up with headaches from not getting sleep.
    Anonymous

• Okay people. When they were in cribs, they couldn't get up and come in to your room. No reason they need to have the option now. Get a baby gate or a lock and do not allow them to leave their room. It is safer for them anyway,. A wandering toddler in the middle of the night is a dangerous thing! They're 2 so they understand you. You need to sit down and have a talk with them about how things are going to be from now on. We all like to feel good and have lots of energy during the day so we can do fun things like (fill in the blank...swimming, etc.,). We all need to sleep well to feel good and the best way to do that is to sleep in our own beds. So, from now on, you need to stay in your bed until you see the sun come up (or some other signifier). You're not allowed to sleep with mom and dad anymore, you're a big boy/girl. If you get up, we'll just put you right back to bed. If you think your toddler is afraid of ..
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:11 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My two year old still does this from time to time.. You just got to be consistent about it, which me and my SO are bad at.. Most of the time we dont even wake up when he crawls into bed with us. My 1 year old still sleeps in his crib and doesnt mind it.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:11 PM on May. 25, 2010

• ...of something then do something to help them. A nightlight if they're afraid of the dark. "Fairy Dust" (invisible) for monsters. A stuffed toy or even a small pet (guinea pig on the shelf) to keep them company. They CAN do this but you need to be confident and consistent for them to get the hang of it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I have always closed my DD's door at night when she's sleeping. She can't open doors yet so she stays in her room. But try making sure your child has a night-light (if needed) and water. I always leave a sippy of water. And if she gets up, I return her right to bed. Time and time again.
    first-one

Answer by first-one at 12:14 AM on May. 26, 2010