giving a 4 mnth old juice

ok ive asked before but everyone says water and how much water? and i heard its bad for their kidneys? so is juice ok if i choose and the juice i am using is gerber baby apple juice

lowesjessica

Asked by lowesjessica at 7:43 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice and water really should wait until they are 6 mos old. If you choose to do then it really shouldn't be any more than 2 oz. BTW I wouldn't waste your money on the gerber juices because it really is 50/50 already and you can save money and dilute juice yourself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

• A four month old baby only needs breastmilk (or formula). They don't need juice or water.
    Anonymous

• They only need juice or water if they are constipated. In which case..2 parts water to one part juice if I remember correctly. No more than 2 oz a day. They need breastmilk or formula to get all their nutrients.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:52 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i gave my dd juice at 4 months...i did about 1/4 juice and 3/4 water and as she got older i diluted it less and less. and around 9 months she was doing regular juice without water.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Juice really isn't needed. The risk to teeth outweighs everything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:24 PM on May. 25, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics, in their policy statement on The Use and Misuse of Fruit Juice in Pediatrics makes it clear that 'there is no nutritional indication to feed juice to infants younger than 6 months.'

They also recommend that juice be given only in a cup, not in a bottle, and that if you do give your older infant juice, then 4-6 ounces of juice would be more than enough for the entire day (this is really a daily limit though and not necessarily an endorsement for drinking juice) You would be better off giving your older infant fruit instead of fruit juice.

I have heard it is best to wait until they are 12 months to give them juice. There is no benefit, it is really just sugar water.

Yes, 100 moms will write in "I started giving my baby juice at 3 days old and he is fine!" That doesn't make it right. No juice until one year, then watered down. You never need to give G
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:46 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would wait. till at least 6-7 mo, same with the starting solids.
    I wish I waited with may son, maybe we'd have less allergies and asthma lather.
    If I have to have a secon child, I'll defenetly will wait.
    Good luck !
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 10:17 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I would hold off on juice for at least a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Babies kidneys can't process water yet and there is no nutritional value in juice. If you have to give juice, wait till your child is a year and heavily dilute it. My DD doesn't drink juice. She's a milk and water kiddo. If someone gives her juice, she won't drink it and asks for water.
    first-one

Answer by first-one at 12:07 AM on May. 26, 2010